New
Find
Notify
Tools

A hunter`s story by Ionides-review
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought it was OK.I thought there would be some interesting stories on maneaters but there wasn`t.The snake part is not interesting at all.So is the part about him hunting some rare pig or antelope on his retirement.It is not really a hunters book,IMO.He was more interested in collecting rare species and is describing the functions of his job in the conservation department throughout the book.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
It is a story written in the manner of the times he lived. I thought it was an interesting insight into his life in Africa , the places he went and way he did things.

He certainly isnt the most spirited writer of the times , not in the league of John Taylor but a good read none the less.

The snakes didnt do it for me either .....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ionides was the 1st warden of the immense Tanganyika Game Preserve, no small responsiblity. If you are more interested in reading about bloodsport in the same reserve, read Terry Irwin's Memiors of an African Hunter. Terry was one of Ionides' game rangers who became a PH and whose clients regularly took 100+ pounders.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Corbett`s are my favorite books.They have a little of everything thrown in-hunting,terror,nature,culture,rifles and more.A book is supposed to be exciting,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted:
Jim Corbett`s are my favorite books.They have a little of everything thrown in-hunting,terror,nature,culture,rifles and more.A book is supposed to be exciting,IMO.

Depends on why one is reading the book. If he is after adventure, yes that is true. If he wants to learn, not necessarily so.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote