Find
Notify
Tools

The Mad trapper of Rat River
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone read this book?

I just started it. Seems interting so far.

I wonder if a movie was made based on it?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
If the book is about albert johnson,there is a movie.

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Hu...ronson/dp/B0006GQMC8

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JB,

Thats it, I started reading this book and It remined my of Lee Marvin in an old movie that I couldnt remember the name of

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Ive seen it a few times,but it's still better than 99% of the poop coming out of hollywood now.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been up to the OGILVIE, EAGLE River (which runs into the Rat) hunting barren ground caribou many times, approx 15. BEEN up with another member of AR. In the EAgle Plains Lodge 23 miles south of the Arctic Circle, there is quite a display of pics of Albert Johnson the Mad trapper of Rat RIVER. THE pics show his camps and one real close up of his sneering face. HE was pretty stiff in that picture. Quite a story.
It is an incredible hunt in November up there, by snow machine.
Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
JB,

Thats it, I started reading this book and It remined my of Lee Marvin in an old movie that I couldnt remember the name of

Charles Bronson was the Mad Trapper. As I remember, it was made near Banff and I can still recall seing bits of a barbed wire fence, as the hero was fleing from the cops. Any similarity to the real story, purely coincidental. Smiler

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, The dinamite used to blow up the cabin and the shooting part is what reminds me of that movie. Maybe a hollywood version of that part of the story

Pretty good book though. Im only half way through. Only first two chapters are about the actualy incident. The rest of the book is about trying to figureing out who he actually was and his past and where he was from

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe author Dick North also wrote a book about the Mad Trapper of Rat River.
His name was actually Albert Johnson

Watson lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
There's a sort of modern day version out,Descent into Madness. It's by Vernon Frolick and it's pretty interesting.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watson Lake:
I believe author Dick North also wrote a book about the Mad Trapper of Rat River.
His name was actually Albert Johnson

Watson lake

Yes that is that is the book I just finished reading by Dick North. Mad Trapper used the name Albert Johnson, Arthur Nelson etc.

Dick North researched who the Mad Trapper realy was over many years and concluded He was a John Johnson from N. Dakota and had robbed a bank at age 17, stole horses etc, was in prison and eventualy traveled to the Yukon area

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
There's a sort of modern day version out,Descent into Madness. It's by Vernon Frolick and it's pretty interesting.

Had the book, but I loaned it out. Different story, but similar. As I recall, it took place in northern BC, in the 1980's. The back cover featured a color picture of the villain, after they shot him.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote