THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    Anyone seen Boddington's Safari Rifles II?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone seen Boddington's Safari Rifles II?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone read, flicked through a copy of Craig Boddington's latest book: Safari Rifles II?

I have a copy of his first book on safari rifles and really enjoyed it. I was wondering if anyone had seen the updated version, and what new information, experiences it imparts?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a copy on order, but as far as I know, it hasn't been released yet.

Gotta be getting close though.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am being a bit 'cheap'. I hoped someone else could give me an overview of the book.

I bought One shot for North America on the strength of the African title. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed. It was not as good in my opinion.

I generally like Mr Boddington's books. I have quite a few of them. His Safari Rifles and North America Hunting Rifles are good. As is his 'Make it Accurate'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari Press is advertising it for $125. For that I'll pass.

His first book was intersting but said the .458 was not powerful enough for Africa and also that elephant hunting ws a thing of the past.

The historical part was interesting but I question what you would learn about today's hunting rifles that you can't learn on AR.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Yep seen it!

It was laying on the table between us when I met last Spring. It is huge!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived yesterday here in France so people in the USA should have received their copy as well. It's a nice book and my copy (#38) is well made (in China). It follows the same table of contents as the first Safari Rifles book, updated to include the developments which have ocurred since the first.

I would think that for most of the AR crowd the book wouldn't represent any great breakthrough in knowledge or presentation of rifles for hunting in Africa. We're a "real-time" group when it comes to rifles, cartridges and hunting in Africa and know and discuss daily every aspect of the subject. Knowing this, there isn't much in the book which will strike you as groundbreaking or innovative. On the other hand, Boddington's writing has improved IMHO and he expresses the humility that the additional years of hunting (or maybe just getting older and wiser) were bound to produce. For instance, he states explicitly that several of the things he predicted/thought in his first book came out differently, notably about elephant and rhino hunting.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Hey All:

The limited edition leather bound book is $125, but the regular edition was just released which is $50 or so at Safari Press. I have the book and it is really very good. Lots of photos and a great resource.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look forward to getting a not leather bound copy. Indy, I think a .458 Win. is a poor choice too. Not saying it wouldn't and hasn't got the job done. But not my first choice - absolutely.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
In case its of interest, you can buy all of Craig Boddington's (and many other) books and videos here: Wink

http://www.shakariconnection.com/bookshelf.html

If you don't see what you want, just send me a PM with the details and we'll get it up there asap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my 'late' Christmas present to myself came in the form of the 'trade' edition of Boddington's Safari Rifles #2.

The book / edition is a quality printing and I am enjoying 'dipping' into it. I will need to sit down and read it properly soon.

Two points which caught my attention: Non American citizens are not allowed to bring their own, out of country firearms into the 'States' to go hunting and the declining popularity of the wildcat .338-06 round.

Are people forced to use / borrow / hire the guide company's 'loaner rifle' when hunting for, say Black or Grizzly Bears? I am left handed, this would cause me inconvenience. I thought people hunting in, say Alaska, could bring their own rifles? If this prohibition is the case, I would look to Canada for my future hunting plans / dreams.

Secondly, the .338-06. Ok, I have a vested interest in that I have one and like it a lot. Mr Boddington wrote in Safari Rifles #2 the round was heading for obscurity / death outside of a few reloading fanatics. In Safari Rifles #1, he wrote he thought the cartridge had a good future as it was an immensely popular wildcat cartridge then (early 1990s). Admittedly, 20 years is a long time in commerce / trade and fashions come and go.

I wondered whether others agreed with this? It seems the round has a good following on the AR forums.

I would agree with him as far as the UK / Europe, possibly, is concerned. Obtaining 'factory' flavour ammunition for this round is well nigh impossible in the UK. It is not popular, so the volumes do not make it practical for wholesale importers to bring the round into the country.

In the UK you are restricted to how much ammunition you are allowed to buy and own at any one time. Importers would only be interested in pallet 'brick' loads of a particular cartridge. When I looked into this last: end 2006, beginning 2007, the minimum order equated to 5000 rounds according the dealer I spoke with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flipped through it briefly. Could be wrong but seemed like an update of Safari Rifles I. Only new cartridge that I've adopted since the first edition (and that's the right word) is the .416 Rem. Mag. (It's my baby). I don't think I need any other children at this stage of my life.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got if for Christmas.

Indeed, it is an update on Safari Rifles.
It takes into account the recent developments in bullets. He focuses a lot on the bullets, as the biggest development in the last 20 years has been on that field; I believe an entire book could be dedicated on bullets alone.
He presents the various calibers like the 1st edition but the 1st edition was more "hand-book" like in that is is thinner, and all the calibers are presented under their own sub-headings. This makes using the 1st edition as quick-reference very convenient.

SRII is huge, indeed, and difficult to read in bed....
It's biggest merit over SRI is Boddington's vast African experience accrued since. So he speaks more about elephant and other really big game like hippo and crocodile.

Also the pictures are of high quality color-print, although some photos are a tad blurry. There are usually photos on every page which makes reading a pleasure.

The biggest shortcoming in my opinion is the little information it provides on the metric calibers. It continuously amazes me how little the metrics are known in the U.S.

All in all, it brings little new to the table in comparison to SRI, but it is of course an updated version so for those who do not have SRI, it would be a good buy.
For those who have SRI, it's more like a book of interest; not something one must have.
In general, both SRI and SRII are huge undertakings discussing the calibers, rifle types, bullets, game, and addenda in such a detail that I doubt if we'll see another book like this in 40 years; about the same time that lapsed between Taylor's "African Rifles and Cartridges", and "Safari Rifles".

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me a copy for my birthday. It's an updated version and the good General notes his old ideas and any changes experience has brought out. She tried to get the original a few years ago but UPS demolished the last copy that Safari Press had.
It's a long read but has a bunch of info I'll be reviewing in the future if the urge to buy a rifle in a new caliber strikes. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote