New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Quest of Building a Decent Library.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Books are become obsolete.(yeah right) Those people who cut their teeth on Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor are starting to pass to the hunting ground of the hereafter.

I have been hitting up Amazon since Christmas. This is the quest to build a top-rate library. One that specializes on Alaska and the Yukon but that covers the classics of American Outdoor writing, firearms and the fundamentals of Africa and Asia.

Examples of this last month are: Bond In Alaska, Brown Bear Hunting by Eddy, Rule's Guide to the Winchester Model 70 by Roger Rule,
Big Game Hunting by Elmer Keith, Bows on the Little Delta by Glen St. Charles, Guide to shooting and Reloading by PO Ackley Volume 2,
To Far Western Alaska by T.R. Hubback,Use Enough Gun by Robert Ruark and Skyline Pursuits by John Batten.

I am just wondering if that is how people here got started. I am also curious if people here would like me to update them on my progress?

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Steve,

I have used your site and Trophy Room Books as well. I really appreciate how you lay things out.
I am not of means so I check Amazon and then snipe when I find something inexpensive. I have done this to get one of each of the 13 editions of the BC alltime record books. Yes, 1932(1st edition) is the 90s reprint but all the rest are legitimate editions.

Just got to keep searching.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaboku68:
Dear Steve,

I have used your site and Trophy Room Books as well. I really appreciate how you lay things out.
I am not of means so I check Amazon and then snipe when I find something inexpensive. I have done this to get one of each of the 13 editions of the BC alltime record books. Yes, 1932(1st edition) is the 90s reprint but all the rest are legitimate editions.

Just got to keep searching.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Glad you enjoy the site and find it helpful...... I don't know about you but I LOVE the searching as much as the buying/owning. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Advanced Book Exchange, http://www.abe.com quite a lot. I have sometimes found better pricing on Ebay, but now that it's morphed into a fixed price format, less so. Still worth looking.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the library building process continues...

I would like to note that the Amwell trade editions offer a good value. They may not be as valuable as the limited edition books but they are high quality.

I would also like to point out that the old NRA Firearms Classics books, the Capstick Library and the Samworth Press books are good values on Amazon.

I have also noted that with many of the books on Amazon that if you leave them in your cart that the price goes down.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I contacted Ludo Wurfbain at Safari Press several years ago and he was kind enough to send me a "recommended reading list". I started with that list and worked up my own based on my tastes. Eventually, I built a substantial library.

I even went to the effort to rate and review each book so I could remember what I read. This is and was fun to do.

I also did this with DVD's.

I have since sold off the bulk of the books due to moving three times in the last 5 years, but I know where to go get them if I have the itch to re-read something.

I bought the bulk of my books from www.abebooks.com and www.alibris.com

I rarely used Amazon due to the prices.

Posts: 10260 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other idea is to search this forum for book reviews if you are wondering about certain books. I found the members on AR to be very good at book reviews.

Posts: 10260 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

I bought the bulk of my books from www.abebooks.com and www.alibris.com

Ditto, plus E-Bay and Amazon. Check all four, and take the best deal of the bunch. Alibris and Abe also send out coupons regularly that allow you to knock off a few books from most purchases.

Mike

Posts: 21361 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
years ago it was all the used book stores you could stop at and getting friendly with the owner. Then I found Judith Bowman (High $), but she had more than most. I guess I funded quite a few trips to Mich. for morel mushrooms back in the 70's and 80's. Thought I would leave them to the family to sell after I passed but...

I started with anything hunting for sheep, Alaska, African big five, Atlantic salmon, trout, and Arctic exploration.

I'm glad that there is still interest in real books with hand painted illustrations and such. They are a thing of beauty. Not this copy machine crap that the author's family has no idea they're selling for $20-50.

Maybe it's time to sell and get out of the ones that didn't interest me?

Good Luck and remember condition and dust jackets are everything.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
This might help

Steve, This is a great thing you're doing. It is laid out nice and has detailed descriptions of the books. Very nice, Bravo.

BTW I just looked at Harry Wolhuter's Memories of a Game Ranger, of which there were many. It's one of my best finds as it has a picture of him and his grandchild, a laid in letter from his daughter/son(?) and his inscription. I got it at a garage sale for one US dollar. It's these kind of finds that are cause for driving your family and friends nuts as you pull over for "just a look".

I don't buy much anymore, but I've added you to my "Care & Finding Books" tab. It's a great cause of envy for me of those just starting out. Good Luck to you.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Kind of you to say so buddy..... thanks! tu2

Does the Wolhuter pic mention the name of the Grandchild?

One of his Grandsons is my friend Kim Wolhuter who makes the leopard vids for Nat Geo etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the annual SCI convention is a wonderful place to buy books. Safari Press has, it seems, at least a thousand books to actually peruse before buying.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a couple weeks I'll have a mess of Capsticks, new, that I'll be offering on AR before they list anywhere else, and considerably cheaper here, about half or so of ABE or Alibris prices. Might put together a couple of 7 or 8 Title starter libraries for about a C note too.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9734 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

The pictures have one with Joan Wolhuter Daughter-in-law, Harry and Grandson. The other has the Wolhuter Grandson and me(?), I would guess it's Grandma Wolhuter as she's of like age as Harry. Both mark Pretorius(?) Kop(?) July 1954. The handwriting is a chore to read but there is a little family tree info as follows:

"The Mother of Byron Lee (Shurter?) and the Father of Kate Eliza Samiels or Daniels Potter were brother(?) and sister. Kate E. Potter 1871-1955 was the Mother of Arnold Stuart Potter and Mildred Daniels Potter Damon 1894-"

"Marion(?) left Botha or Boston(?) airport June 12, 1947 for J'Burg S. Africa"

Plus address label inset with Mrs. G or E. F Potter, Eliot St Milton Mass c/o A (?) S. Damon

Book owned by K.E.P. Irvin(?) Arnold 1952. Signed by Harry on 24 May 1952

Back Map has, "Marion B. Potter went to S. Africa June 12 1947"

"Arnold S. Potter went to Africa"

"KEP is marked on the map between Barberton and Kaapmuiden, West of the Lomati River and North of Swaziland"

"KEP is also marked North-West of the junction of the Makoetsi, M'klasiri and Olifants Rivers. West of "The Gorge" in Kruger National Park"

Like I stated, I have a hard time reading some of their script, hence the (?). Maybe these are pictures of your friend? It's a third edition, but I find it some interesting that there's a picture of a happy warrior in his later years. Imagine getting knocked off your horse by a lion, landing on another, getting drug 60 yards by a purring lion, and finally killing it with a belt knife! What a guy!

I sincerely hope that some of this is of interest to your friend. Regards, Minkman

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm going from memory but seem to remember Kim or someone else telling me it was actually a fruit knife he used but whatever it was, he was incredibly lucky and he must have been scared spitless! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a good day. I got After Wild Sheep In the Altai Mongolia by E. Demidoff Prince of San Donato copyright 1966 published by Abercrombie and Fitch.

Roughnecks and gentlemen by Harold McCracken. It is the memoir of McCracken who helped found Cody Museum and travelled all over North America including Alaska in the teens and twenties.

Fred Bear Field Notes by Fred Bear. It was signed by Fred Bear and has a exlibris stamp that says it was from Fred Bear's personal library to Dan Golach. Now I have got to find out who that is.

sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The day is coming, but I suspect I'll be obsolete before books are. (Grammer, I know)

Posts: 10105 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I in India plan to create a good library on African hunting and gun books. Shall appreciate if members could suggest good reading quality books. Please understand getting books into India is an expensive affair therefore please advice. Thank you all.

Posts: 36 | Location: India | Registered: 23 August 2013Reply With Quote