New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slug accuracy??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A gunsmithing customer of mine is going to Iowa on a deer hunt an must use slugs. He asked me what the most accurate ones are. (12 ga rifled bbl. cantilever scope mts.) I had no idea, but told him I'd ask you guys. Any help?

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg I've had good luck with the Barnes Federal Sabots. They shoot real well in my shotgun and kill deer like the hammer of Thor. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg, It seems like all the gun brands shoot differently. If the gun is a Remington with a Remington fully rifled barrel,it will probably only shoot "Buckhammers" accurately. Most slower twist barrels won't shoot sabots accurately. Cabelas has a fast twist barrel that is made for sabots. Hope this helps out. Jeff

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69deer:
Greg, It seems like all the gun brands shoot differently. If the gun is a Remington with a Remington fully rifled barrel,it will probably only shoot "Buckhammers" accurately. Most slower twist barrels won't shoot sabots accurately. Cabelas has a fast twist barrel that is made for sabots. Hope this helps out. Jeff

It's a Remington. Thanks for the info. All my customers (including this one) shoot rifles or occaisnally, buckshot in thick swamps here in FL.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg I hunt Iwoa every year for deer. And the Buckhammers work well as do the sabots. One thing for sure your buddy is going to see allot of deer. We are going to hunt first shotgun season this year. But in all first season or secound season the deer will be there. Thats for sure.Tim

Posts: 77 | Location: California | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TIMBOB44:
Greg I hunt Iwoa every year for deer. And the Buckhammers work well as do the sabots. One thing for sure your buddy is going to see allot of deer. We are going to hunt first shotgun season this year. But in all first season or secound season the deer will be there. Thats for sure.Tim

I know he's looking forward to it: mainly for a different hunting experience. He can kill all the deer he wants here. He invited me to his property last year & I saw over 40 deer & 100 turkeys in a couple hours from the stand he put me on. Thanks for the good info on the slugs. I'll pass it on to my customer.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Accuracy is a relative term. You need to find out what the customer considers accurate. My slug gun shoots a wide variety (Barnes, Winchester, Remington, etc.) of slugs very accurately (in the 2 inch range) at 50 yards. At least compared to rifles, I would consider the 100 yard accuracy with all very poor (in the 6 to 8+ inch range).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brayhaven:
A gunsmithing customer of mine is going to Iowa on a deer hunt an must use slugs. He asked me what the most accurate ones are. (12 ga rifled bbl. cantilever scope mts.) I had no idea, but told him I'd ask you guys. Any help?
Mossberg, with Federal sabots that is shaped like an hour glass. Swaged lead, around 50 caliber. The reason being that Mossberg was the first to design and work with the inventer of the NEW sabot slug using a rifled barrel. Not all barrel twist rates are the same from different companys. Expect 4" 5 shot groups or smaller at 100 yards with a scoped cantilever barrel.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
We've been using Lightfield around here for a couple of years. I haven't found another to shoot as well. Not a speedster compared to some other brands but every deer we've shot so far has not taken another step with a few actually doing a backflip when shot head on. They are quite impressive!

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi i have a rem 870 and rem rifled barrel with scope . this combo shoots the 2 3/4" remington copper solids very well at 100 yrds it will put 5 rounds into about a 3" group . Bob

knowledge is power and you never have enough knowledge

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You might want to suggest he check out the Tar Hunt website, they have quite a lot of good information there.

My 2 cents is you need to buy a few boxes and see what the individual gun likes, copper solids usually work pretty well.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote