New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 21...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently inherited my grandfather's and great grandfather's guns. Most of them are pre-wwII colt 45's and a couple of mod 94 winchester rifles. I know what I'm dealing with when it comes to rifles and pistols, but I'm certainly not very knowledgeable with regards to shotguns (this is a bit bizarre b/c I actually do far more bird hunting than I do big game hunting).

So to get to the point, one of my grandfather's guns was a 12 gauge WINCHESTER model 21 SXS double that looks as if it's never been shot and is in perfect condition. The shotgun is really well balanced and surprisingly light weight. I would like to know if anyone knows much about these shotguns (e.g. value, quality). I'm trying to determine what to do with it, as I generally use a 28 gauge for dove and quail hunting and have no need for a 12 gauge. I'm also not too fond of SXS's as compared to O/U's. Thanks in advance for any info.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Model 21 is included in Michael McIntosh's book "The Best Shotguns Ever Made in America: Seven Vintage Doubles to Shoot and to Treasure". One might quibble over its placement among the seven, but it is surely in the top ten.

I know a man who has a near-mint Model 21 with serial number 7X. It's a fine gun.

It's up to you what you do with it, but it doesn't eat much, and it is a family heirloom. Even if you only look at it, it would be nice to have.

Once at a gun show I inquired as to the price of a nice 21. When the owner said, "Four", I couldn't get my money out of my pocket fast enough. In a couple of minutes we determined that he meant four thousand, and I was thinking four hundred. Four thousand was a little sttep, but four hundred wasn't nearly enough.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I don't know that I could sell it because of nostalgic reasons. Then again, it will probably just sit in the safe if I don't sell it or trade it.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I just guided a guy this week that just sold his 21 easily for $6K and said it was only in decent shape.

If yours is in great shape or an unusual model it may be worth considerably more. If you must to sell don't give it away.

I just spent $1100 getting my grandfather's $400 Remington SxS safe to shoot so I could hunt with it... so you know what I would do if I inherited a really cool old SxS. (I much prefer a O/U for clays because I hate losing in competition but I don't mind letting a few birds go in the field and making the hunt last longer.)

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely, but the older I get the more I enjoy quail hunting and lose interest in dove, turkey, duck hunting. I really can't see myself using a 12 gauge to hunt quail. I'll probably take it out and see how well it shoots. It would be good practice for shooting my double rifles if nothing else. I think it would be a shame to do anything other than give it to my kids, but 4-6 grand sure does sound purdy dang good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hand load a few boxes of 7/8 ounce 12 ga shells and go find some quail. I spent a week in South Dakota shooting a Francotte S/S that I acquired in a trade from an AR member. I used 7/8 and one ounce loads. It was a pleasure to shoot and carry.

You have a very fine shotgun in he 21. I am extremely envious.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I only handload for rifles, but I've got a buddy that wouldn't mind doing it for me. Thanks for the help.