THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    12,530 Doves, 4 days with SxS shotguns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12,530 Doves, 4 days with SxS shotguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I LOVE 101s ! But, as stated earlier in this thread, I have an "addiction" to SxS guns...My loss I'm sure CRYBABY

...as an alternative, you could order a pigeon-grade sxs from, say, one of the basque makers...these come with beaver /semi-beaver forearms, prince of wales grips, action side clips and heavy sighting ribs, and are designed for high volume competitive shooting...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
Nice looking pattern you created, it should serve you well on the gun.

Sounds like an awesome trip. I spent the month of September in Alaska, hunting moose and fishing for salmon. I am living my dreams from my youth and now I need to make a trip south like you did.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chip, the 80% refers to the amount of alcohol in the mixture. With rubbing alcohol, the remainder is normally water. What you are doing when you put this on the barrel is to take away the heat from the barrel by vaporizing the liquid. The factor that tells us how much heat we take away to do the is the latent heat of evaporization and it is different for different liquids. The value for ethanol is 360 btu's per pound and for water is it 970 btus per pound so for the 80% solution it is 482 btus per pound and for a 90% mixture it is 372 btu's per lb so the 80% mixture actually takes the heat away better. Water would do an even better job at 970. And it will not cause any problems with the metal finish.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Water would do an even better job at 970.

Not true.

quote:

Now, isopropyl alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water, and it
is more volatile than water at lower temperatures as well. This means
that its equilibrium vapor pressure is higher at all temperatures. The effect of this is that if you have equal amounts of isopropyl
alcohol and water on your skin, much more of the alcohol will evaporate over a short period of time. This means the evaporation
process will consume more energy per second. Although evaporating equal masses of alcohol and water will require much more energy in the
case of the water, it consumes energy faster in the case of the alcohol.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has nothing to do with speed of evaporation, it is purely latent heat of vaporization, as explained. The latent heat of vaporization for water is much higher than that of the alcohol, and heat removed is heat removed.

Period.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fine, put water on one arm and 90% alcohol on the other and see which gets cooler faster. Geesh.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used little 12 oz bottled waters - worked great...Just twist-off the cap, jam onto the breech face and squeeze...Really did the job.

Best part was that any water that spilled into the action evaporated almost instantly, so damage to the internals was a non-issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The alcohol will evaporate faster but it will take a lot less heat out of the barrels than would water. The water takes almost three times as much heat to evaporate. The water will evaporate also and the barrel will be cooler as a result. This is simple science folks but it is lost on some. Roll Eyes

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
The alcohol will evaporate faster but it will take a lot less heat out of the barrels than would water. The water takes almost three times as much heat to evaporate. The water will evaporate also and the barrel will be cooler as a result. This is simple science folks but it is lost on some. Roll Eyes

"This is simple science but it is lost on some."

That's the damn truth. Will Rogers said it best: "It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so."

quote:
Alcohol vs Water Evaporative Cooling

Name: Marc
Grade: K-12

Question: When rubbing alcohol evaporates, it 'feels' colder than
water. Is this because it requires more energy for a phase change
than water?
---------------------------------------
Marc,

You are correct in thinking that the difference in "feel" is a function
of the heat of vaporization. Iso-propyl alcohol (the main component of
rubbing alcohol) has a dH = 44 kJ/mol versus the dH of water which is
41 kJ/mol. Vaporizing alcohol requires more energy. However, another factor
is the specific heat of iso-propyl alcohol is 154 J/mol.K, that of water is
76 J/mol.K. This means for every degree temperature change in alcohol, a lot
more energy is absorbed.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
How about acetone?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Keep in mind that we are talking about very high volume shooting which usually means being in a country where bottles of alcohol, acetone, etc. might not be easily accessible - Water on the other hand is everywhere.

JW

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
In Argentina you will find the venom of your choice; blue label, black label,etc even alcohol of 96º It is a first world country. the only problem they have is that they are ruled by monkeys

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And...They don't shoot live pigeons, nor Red legged Partridge, as do you Spaniards!!! tu2

posted Hide Post
They sure do shoot live pigeons in Arg. I've shot them myself.

Chip Pitcairn

Posts: 42 | Location: Corpus Christi, Republic of Texas (occupied) | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Jeff, one more diversion back to the evaporation discussion.

quote:
quote:
Alcohol vs Water Evaporative Cooling

Name: Marc
Grade: K-12

Question: When rubbing alcohol evaporates, it 'feels' colder than
water. Is this because it requires more energy for a phase change
than water?
---------------------------------------
Marc,

You are correct in thinking that the difference in "feel" is a function
of the heat of vaporization. Iso-propyl alcohol (the main component of
rubbing alcohol) has a dH = 44 kJ/mol versus the dH of water which is
41 kJ/mol. Vaporizing alcohol requires more energy. However, another factor
is the specific heat of iso-propyl alcohol is 154 J/mol.K, that of water is
76 J/mol.K. This means for every degree temperature change in alcohol, a lot
more energy is absorbed

The problem with this argument is that it is based on a comparison of one molecule of alcohol and one molecule of water and not on an equal amount of each. kj/mol is 1000 joules per mole. A mole of alcohol is 60.9 grams and a mole of water is 18.01 grams.

So we are not comparing apples to oranges. An equal amount of water based on these weights would be 60.9/18.01 = 3.364 and now multiply that time the factor of 41 kj/mol and you end up with 137.95 which is just what I was talking about the water using over 3 times the heat to evaporate. And that verifies the figures I gave before.

So gator, put on the pointy hat again and sit in the corner until we need more misinformation.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They sure do shoot live pigeons in Arg. I've shot them myself.

Box birds or hand thrown??

posted Hide Post
Wild, with decoys from a blind. But I have heard of people shooting box birds in BA. But I don't have any details.

Chip Pitcairn

Posts: 42 | Location: Corpus Christi, Republic of Texas (occupied) | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot them when there, but have seen an outfitter advertise ( I believe Argentina Outfitters ) boxed bird shooting.