New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do You use ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To reload 410 bore shotshells. What equipment do you guys use? All I can seem to find is Mec and I am not into $300-$500 equipment. It looks like Lee, Rcbs, Hornady donot make anything. Can any one point in some direction?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .410 is a bitch to reload and they don't reload as ofter as the other shells do.

When I was shooting a lot of skeet I shot new shells and then sold the hulls to those guys who reloaded.

Considering the time spent looking for deals on reloading components, the hassle of trying to load a case that had seen better days, and considering the time spent loading ---- shooting new and selling hulls was a bargain and I loved not having loose shot in my shooting vest when a crimp wouldn't stay tight.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll concur with DB Bill that the .410 is less than a joy to reload. However, the economic rewards for doing so (with both it and the easily-loaded 28) are much more significant than with the larger gauges like 20 and 12.

I'll admit that it's been a long time since I bought my MEC 600 for .410, but it wasn't anywhere near the $300-$500 range. I find that used reloaders are (1) typically barely used, and (2) a fraction of the cost of a new one. If I were you I'd watch something like Craigslist (or even put a wanted ad on same) for a single-stage MEC. Even if you can't find one in .410, the changeover dies aren't that expensive and you can usually buy the used press for a virtual song.

But do be prepared for general frustration, discontent, and high hull mortality as you try to stuff wads and shot into those pencils.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MEC "Sizemaster" for my .410 rounds.
MEC "Grabber" for my 12, 20, and 28's.
I'm a HUGE fan of MEC equipment based on the amount of value you receive for the money. My 12 ga. Grabber was purchased in 1980 and has supported YEARS of competitive shooting, untold tens of thousands of rounds with only a couple of VERY minor part replacements in those 30+ years.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote