New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for info on Nobel SxS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There is a "Nobel" SxS for sale at one of my local shops. I have never herd of this brand (and neither had the store owner). I cannot come up with any info on this gun. It is a 12ga, has very plain wood with checkering, blued barrels, white box, double trigger, top tang safety, and has a duck engraved on the side of box. I would like to have it as a gun that isnt scared of the mud and thorny bushes when hunting. I would like to know where and when it was built, and how much is it valued? Thank you for any help on this one!

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brent:

Someone more knowledgeable than I will likely chip in.

The Noble was likely made in Westfield, MA. Guns of this variety were/are hell for stout but devoid of the trimmings that make a sxs pretty.

If you've heard the term "hardware store gun", this guy fills the bill perfectly.

I don't believe they've been made for some time. If it's labeled Westfield, MA, Savage likely did the manufacturing and assembly.

FWIW, one of the young guys at our club shoots skeet and five stand with his regularly, and I've never seen it fail.

He is also shoots very competitive scores.

More specific info can be found at double gun.com.

Bob

Posts: 126 | Location: Wilbraham, MA 01095 | Registered: 28 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply! I went back to look at the gun again. I found "Spain" in small letters on the barrel.

That makes me wonder if there are two companies who used the brand name "Nobel"?

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beats me, but it sounds like it meets the criteria for a rainy day gun.

Bob

Posts: 126 | Location: Wilbraham, MA 01095 | Registered: 28 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Nobel pump made in Haydenville, MA. I believe they were sold in department/hardware stores. Kind of like the Coast to Coast or JC Higgins brands.

I picked mine up for $20. An old codger was selling his gun collection and I was there to buy a Browning. I saw this old pump sitting in the corner. The blueing was badly worn and the stock was cracked at the grip. I figured with a 30" full choke it would be an OK turkey gun, for $20 how could I go wrong.

I took it home and pinned the stock together. But I never could get the magazine tube off to plug it to hold two shells. So I sawed the barrel off at 20" and painted it. It has killed a bunch of varmints around the farm and now sits in the corner here at the store with buckshot in it. It has never failed to fire.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote