THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Shotgun stock maker for Red Label?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun stock maker for Red Label?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I've finally come to the decision that I would like to switch hands and quit fighting my eye dominance. I'm right handed, but I'm left eye dominant. What's more, my right eye is weaker than the left, even after laser correction.

The problem is that I have zero dexterity with my left side in terms of shooting and just mounting the gun. It's really a difficult exercise. Now, to the point of the post... I'd like to find someone who can make me a cast-on stock for my Red Label. My Red Label is really my go-to gun. I've put countless thousands of rounds through it, and thus I'd like to stick with this gun vs. buying a gun with a cast-on for a lefty. I'm also hoping/expecting the cast-on to help me learn and get accustomed to mounting the gun left handed.

Does anyone know of a good shotgun stock maker that could do this for me for a price that wont be more than what I paid for the gun 20 years ago? Smiler

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
good guy in your area would be john valicek, he's in canyon lake.... pm me for his number, he does good work...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher, If you find someone to re-stock your Red Label I would be interested in how it goes and, of course, how much it costs. I recently had an opportunity to shoot a try gun and have a shotgun fitting. I asked two different shotgun guys about having my Red Label stocked to those dimensions, and was told it wasn't worth it. They were not down on the Red Label, but they did say it would cost as much as new Red Label and in their opinion it would be better to sell it and start over. I would be interested to hear what you, or anyone else, knows or finds out about this. Regards, MMM.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good stock man should have no problem bending the stock or another option is re-inletting the stock which will change the cast as well...
good luck with your change mount your gun a couple of dozen times every morn and night you should be able to make your change cross dominance is another concern and a majic dot on your shooting glasses may help...
Have fun

Posts: 1614 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Wenig Gun Stocks, they make a machine inletted stock that requires some fitting. The stocks come slightly oversize so you can work them to your desired dimensions, and were very reasonably priced, used to be under $100.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you send a gun off to get it bent, find out where it shoots. Step back 20 yards and shoot from the left side. You will see how the gun patterns. I prefer a gun to pattern 60% above the aiming point, 40% below. Your most critical adjustment is left and right. Shoot both barrels and several shots to make sure you know where it shoots with your preferred shooting position. Then you can calculate how much to bend the stock by doing a ratio of the distance between your eye and the bead to the distance from the gun to the target. Let's say for ease of calculation that the distance between you eye and the bead is 36 inches, one yard. If the gun shoots to the right 4 inches at 20 yards, you would need to move the stock at the point directly below the eye 1/20th of 4 inches, = 0.2 inches to the left to get the gun on target. Google Mike Orlen, Amherst, MA. He has bent probably 20 stocks for my customers and myself. Cost is about $125. Mike can usually turn around a stock bend in two weeks.Make sure you tell Mike how much you want the gun bent. You can tell him to move a point 36 inches from the muzzle 0.2 inches to the left and he'll do it. He's a gun bender, not a gun fitter and won't try to correct the gun for you. I'm a lefty and I shoot a gun with 1/4" cast on at the heel and 3/8" cast off at the toe. Mike can also bend it up or down if needed. Good luck.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote