New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light Modified for steel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I wanted a tube that would produce a Light Modified pattern with steel shot, how much restriction would it require? .007? I normally don't use a tube tighter than Light Modified for lead shot shooting. I just don't need the range. There isn't a standard tube on Briley's site for Light Modified pattern with steel. Will I need a custom tube?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go by the numbers , you have to always pattern the loads. My Benelli gives EXTRA,EXTRA FULL with Mod choke with BB steel !
Steel shot has a thick plastic shot cup and steel shot doesn't deform so there is a major difference with choke performance.
I'd start off with Cyl choke and try it .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RULE OF THUMB IS YOU DROP ONE SIZE FOR STEEL. METE IS CORRECT THOUGH, ALL GUNS ARE DIFF. AND SHOT SHELLS VARI

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Browning Invector Plus has tubes list skeet for lead/IC in steel. IC in lead/modified in steel. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this link from Briley:

http://www.briley.com/understa...anationbybriley.aspx

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"If I wanted a tube that would produce a Light Modified pattern with steel shot, how much restriction would it require?"

Not really sure what kind of patterns or percentages you are shooting for, but here are some pattern numbers from my gun with a Briley LM choke and steel loads so you can see the kind of performance I'm getting with a LM (.015") choke.

Pattern numbers from my 12-gauge Browning Citori w/ 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

40 YARDS
Rem Sportsman Steel 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #4 steel (218 pellets) -- LM / 150 (69%)
Rem Sportsman Steel 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) -- LM / 114 (82%)
Rem Sportsman Steel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) -- LM / 107 (70%)
Rem Sportsman Steel 3" 1 1/4 oz BB steel (85 pellets) -- LM / 69 (81%)

At 40 yards, the LM is more than enough choke so that the steel #4s are still maintaining good small or large duck pattern densities and the steel #2s are still holding good mallard (large duck) killin' density! And, the steel BB load is holding good goose pattern density. As a side note, my gun really likes the 2 3/4" #2 load.

What is important is the number of pellets in the pattern at the yardage you are shooting the birds and not the pattern percentage. Pattern percentage is a measure of load/choke efficiency and not directly related to the load/choke killin' ability.

In my mind and from the pattern results, the LM (.015") choke is a good general choke for decoy duck shooting (out to 40, maybe 45 yards).

And, as you can see from these pattern numbers, if I do my part and put the pattern on the duck he's dead!

Remember, you'll want to pattern your gun/load/choke combo since it may differ from mine.

Good luck.

Posts: 61 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most informative sites on chokes is Trulock Chokes website. Also in my experience their chokes are great. I met George Trulock at a SHOT show and have done business with them, great to deal with. www.trulockchokes.com

Steve

Posts: 49 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote