Find
Notify
Tools

Old Side x Side project
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
This old Remington 1889 was purchased used (and probably abused by the look of it) for $3.50 by my grandfather when he moved to this area in 1930.

By the time I was old enough to be interested in guns the family had deemed it "unsafe" and we were never allowed to shoot it. I've always wanted to get it reworked so I could shoot it.

Late this last spring I sent it to Briley and asked them to check it out and see if they could make it safe to shoot. But I made it extremely clear I didn't want a restoration. I wanted it left "UGLY" including the copper and steel straps my grandfather put on with wood screws to keep the cracked stock from coming apart.

It wasn't cheap (although it was actually less than they originally estimated) but now the action is tight, the bores are cleaned up, the chokes are opened and correct (to Mod. and Imod.) and they say it will be plenty strong enough for any common target loads.

I can't keep from grinning when I shoot it. I've taken it out twice this dove season and taken a limit each time. Probably the neatest thing is that relatives still own the same land that this gun originally hunted, so I'm lucky enough to be shooting in the same exact fields as my grandfather hunted in the 1930's. I don't shoot it great so the amount of shells required hasn't been anything to brag about but I've made some really long shots with it. Having to cock the hammers, change triggers and pull out the hulls (no ejectors) really adds to the excitment while hunting.

The barrels get hot really easily and that splitter forend doesn't do it for me so I added the modern Galco barrel sleeve. It also was way too short for me so I weakened and added some spacers and a KickEez. I really hated to do both of those things but they made it much easier to shoot. The stock has so much drop that I have a heck of a time putting my head in the same place twice but I'm learning.

The ultimate for me would be to take it to a high roller SxS society shoot and place against guns that cost more than I'd pay for a truck. That may be one of the projects for next year. I'll bet those guys in their tweed with their English doubles will leave me a pretty wide gurth while I'm shooting this thing. Wink

If you have an heirloom you're wondering about I highly recommend sending it to Briley to have it checked out.

All the best,
Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler,
Glad to see you are using an old family heirloom and leaving it cosmetically original. If only that gun could talk. That was a great approach you took with that gun.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote