THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Red Label or Baretta Silver Essential
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Label or Baretta Silver Essential
 Login/Join

<gundog>
posted
Greetings,

I would like to hear your opinions comparing the Red Label, and the Barretta Silver Essential (686 Onyx, but in Silver / Nickel).

I really like the Red Label, however I have recently discovered the Silver Essential. I do not know much about that model of Barretta and would like to hear from those of you that do.

I am considering a 20 gauge.

Thanks in advance.

gundog

<stinkeypete>
posted
Don't forget to look at the Beretta Ultralight in 12 vs. a 20 gauge.

I simply love my Beretta Ultralight. I shoot skeet and hunt with it. Skeet I shoot 1 oz. loads with 17 grain Clays. Rabbits, grouse and woodcock I shoot 7/8 oz with 18.3 grains clays. Very sweet. You can really get it swinging fast. It's a joy to carry. You can also shoot pheasants, if you get the urge.

Anyway, it's a sweetie. Nice to look at, excellent fit and feel, your friends will oooh and aaaah, and at the end of the day, it sure is nice to be carrying that light weight gun in your arm.

I had the gun fit to me with a big thick decellerator pad, and I don't know if its the good fit, the pad, or both- but recoil is easy to absorb. Also, I shoot wimp loads.

Pete

<pfc1966>
posted
If you plan to carry the gun much, e.g. pheasant hunting, etc., go with the Beretta. Should be much lighter in any gauge than the Red Label. Also, the Ruger to me has a clunky fit, that is doesn't come and settle in smooth. But then I have shot a Beretta ever since I came home from Vietnam in 1968. I guess that means in 34 years I haven't managed to wear out my BL-3 although it shows the effect of the years and the kids who have handled and dropped it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both have the slender receiver due to the lack of underlugs, but the Beretta is lighter, and to my taste, a bit smoother. The Ruger is a serviceable gun, but it does close like a barn door compared to the good European makes, which ruffles my prejudices.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote