THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    How much will my scores improve ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much will my scores improve ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

If I give up my Browning Citori and take up shooting a Krieghoff K-80...

One salesman told me that with a K-80 my scores will always be one more broken target than they would have been with any other shotgun.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I hear the targets break out of respect, but then again never seen it in person.

In all seriousness if the gun doesnt fit or handle better for you then all the money in the world wont buy more hits. I would handle as many guns as you can. Kreighoff, Perazzi, Kolar, Beretta ASE90/DT10, etc...

Find the one that handles the way you prefer and fits. Small issues with fit can also be fixed easily by a stock fitter if you just love the way the gun handles.

I have shot a few higher end guns, and while I cannot yet afford them a Perazzi is in my future just because I like the way they handle. Hell, I may just make one. dancing

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
And if you can afford a Kreighoff, you can afford lessons from a credited professional. Todd Bender, Shima, Mike McAlpine, etc...Your money would be better served there...

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:

One salesman told me that with a K-80 my scores will always be one more broken target than they would have been with any other shotgun.

animal rotflmo animal rotflmo animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

I used to shoot 25,000 clay targets a year and I used to teach people how to shoot on a semi-professional level, I can tell you with 100% honesty, that you will not break 1 more target with a Kreighoff than you will with your Browning, given that the 2 guns fit you similarly. Personally, I shoot a Browning Citori better than I do a standard K80, because it fits me better and I like how it swings better. Having said that, I do like the triggers on a Kreighoff better. But Aaron was spot on when he told you to get out there and try as many guns as you can, when you pick one of them up, you will know when you find the right one as far as feel goes. If you want to find one that fits you well and you aren't getting a custom stock made for you, go to used rack, and try as many different used versions of the type of gun you like and you will also find one that fits you pretty well (though it probably won't be perfect). What discipline are you shooting? If I had to pick one gun just on the merits of the functionality and reliability of the gun, it would be the Blaser F3, that is a solid piece that will last you a lifetime.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Just a local Sunday afternoon trap shooter.

Starting my third year of trap shooting.

Have shot a number of 25 Straights and one 99 out of 100, but 22 to 24 out of 25 are much more common. And still the occasional 19 or 20.

Not an ATA tournament shooter.

95% of my shooting is Singles at 16 yards.

Occasional poor attempt at Doubles.

Am signed up for three days of training with Gil and Vickie Ash in a couple of weeks.

Signed up for another training class specific to trap shooting in late June.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Ross Seifried that said he worried much more about the guy that spent 5k$ on reloading components than the guy that spent 5k$ on a new gun. If it fits spent your money on practice. A good teacher can probably tell you more about fit than you can self diagnose?
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that the saleman is right, I would prefer to keep the several thousands of dollars in my pocket and laugh at the one more target that got away, secure in the knowledge that otherwise I would have hit it but that its escaping unscathed saved me a helluva lot of money. Big Grin

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Most experienced shooters agree that there is no such thing as "buying" extra targets.

While I'm really happy I switched to a K-80 and would rather shoot it than anything else, I would think that salesman was kidding or at least rather full of himself. No one gun is ideal (or better) for everyone and that most certainly includes the very heavy K-80.

The advice in the above posts is good - you've got to handle a lot of guns. But I'd say that concept needs to be carried one step further. You need to break targets with the various guns too. See how the gun recoils, see how it moves after the shot, transitions from bird to bird, etc. From years of politely borrowing different guns I found that what felt really good in the gun shop or parking lot in fact didn't consistently break the most targets for me. That and that alone steered me to the K-80, but your mileage may vary.

If people recognize you around the club, they'll usually happily let you try a few targets with their gun. FYI - It seems that proper etiquette is to only shoot decent quality factory shells in a borrowed gun.

Hope that helps,
Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
About 25 years ago, I used to shoot skeet maybe twice a month and kinda hang out at the local skeet club.

Another shooter in the squad was talking about how when he got his Rem 3200 his scores would improve because of the faster lock time.

One of local guys who gave lessons part time was in the squad also and said..."I got a better idea, buy a case of shells and practice."

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've shot a few different shotguns (but never a Kreighoff) and, for me at least, it's first about stock fit, second about gun balance, third about gun weight. When you get them all right, it doesn't matter who made it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you should buy a pair so your scores will always be two more broken targets.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Not only will your score go up at least two birds, but you'll get laid more often and have good karma too.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dog willsimply not hunt with anyone carrying an ugly shotgun.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at D. Lee Braun's ratty old Remington 1100 skeet gun and look at his credentials gained using it.

But you can buy more birds. I went through 4 nice repeating shotguns before getting back to the first one with a improved cylinder barrel.
It also cost a pickup load of skeet loads and D. Lee Braun's book.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In shotgunning, it's "the Indian" not "the Arrow".

Fit "the Arrow" you own so it shoots exactly where you look and put thousands of shells through it practicing. Get good instruction. Practice your gun mount every free minute of the day with a mini mag light in the barrel. Carry your shotgun with you (if you can) everywhere you go (work, office, home, etc...). Continue practicing your gun mount until people think you have a real problem Big Grin

Live, eat, breath, sleep and dream about target presentations and how to kill them.

Repeat.

Go to tournaments and Win.

Repeat.

Hug your Browning. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A fun story from my youth:

I went to shoot sporting clays in Manassas Va once when I was about 19. I didn't have an O/U, and only used the family 'stock' pump guns. So I rented an old SKB with a broken extractor and got put in with three other guys with Berettas, K-guns, cigars, mesh vests, hats and the whole get up. I didn;t even have a shell holder, just stuffed my pockets full of shells. All day they were trying to play father and give me tips, telling me this or that. At the end of the day I beat all of them, hitting 78/100 on the first time I ever shot sporting clays with a rented gun. The fellas were a little 'proud' of their protege and kept saying how 'that gun must have magic in it' and all kinds of crud. I didn't have the heart to tell them I was left eue dominant but shooting right handed; they may have defenestrated me right out of the club house.

On a more recent trap field, I raised the ire of the dude next to me with a Lujtic thingy and whooped him with an old Miroku Venture. That gun is a twin to the Citoris...love your Citori.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Hammer, If you are not shooting handicap it's not gonna make a lot of difference what you shoot as long as it fits you. They're all singles till you get to the 25 yard line. The 25 is short yardage, the 26 is middle yardage and the 27 is long yardage. And I'm not trying to be funny. Wait till you get there and remember what I said. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes!...

IF...

...The gun fits you and your old Citori didn't.

Otherwise you'd do better paying a modest sum and having your current gun proprly fitted - a few shooting lessons never hurt either.

It is always hard to see when a guy gets his "dream" gun only to find out that it was more indian than arrow as is always the case!

JW

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I give up my Browning Citori and take up shooting a Krieghoff K-80...

What a load of bloody rubbish!

I beat all the Krieghoff, Beretta and Perrazzi shooters using a a Browning BT-99 no one wanted to buy - it had an extra tight choke!

I loved the way it powdered the targets.

In fact, I was told wait until the targets get further out when shooting in a facing wind. As the dust was coming back at our faces rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I you like the Krieghoff, can afford the Krieghoff, buy the Krieghoff.
Hot Barrels

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote