New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home made Trap gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend in Colorado, Irv Sheldon, built 4 trap guns for himself, wife, and 2 grown children. Irv is a master with metal. Irv did everything including the wood and barrel from scratch. I'm not a shotgun person, but can admire good work. Irv said he used a rifle type trigger design to better control the trigger pull. The action opened with the trigger guard being pulled back. He said he copied that from another shotgun. Britt Robinson inspected it and was really impressed.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Very nice but it looks heavy

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be heavy with the octagon barrel, but if Britt Robinson is pleased?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Looks heavy, but built for business.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
That is some beautiful work. Kind of resembles a Perazzi TMX.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Probably weighs as much as an over and under trap gun. Should be nice and smooth. Nice gun!!

Posts: 361 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice I would like to see a full length side shot.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will contact Irv and check on additional photos and specs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Irv and he said it has been so long since he built it and shot it, he isn't about to guess the weight. He said he didn't think he has a full side view. I'll work on him to do it. He said he had owned 3 Perazzis in the past and did steal a few ideas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing Gene Sears in the late 60's with a single barrel, break open trap gun he had made. It was to have the fit and feel of a Model 12 of which he was an admirer. I don't remember many details as I was about 13 or 14 at the time but it was an interesting concept. Maybe Britt remembers it?

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, I shot with Irv and his wife many times at the old Aurora Gun Club, Mile High Shooting Park, etc. during the '80's. My recollection is that his guns were, let's say "evolving". He was taking bits and pieces of ideas from other guns such as Seitz, Ljudic, Perazzi, and others. It would be interesting to know how many prototypes he made. I do not remember the octagon barrel, but that may have come later, as I moved from Denver in 1988.

Posts: 727 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Butch, I shot with Irv and his wife many times at the old Aurora Gun Club, Mile High Shooting Park, etc. during the '80's. My recollection is that his guns were, let's say "evolving". He was taking bits and pieces of ideas from other guns such as Seitz, Ljudic, Perazzi, and others. It would be interesting to know how many prototypes he made. I do not remember the octagon barrel, but that may have come later, as I moved from Denver in 1988.

I talked to Irv for quite a bit about 10 days ago. I followed with an email to his wife, still no reply. I guess I need to call him again. He is an awful nice man. I'm sure he used ideas from other shotguns that he liked, Irv and his wife are serious short range BR rifle shooters. He machined everything except the barrels. Even made his own triggers. He built a couple Titanium receivers and didn't particularly care for them. All of his press and powder throwers were machined by him. I believe Irv built 4 complete shotguns, one each for himself, wife, son, and daughter in law. I did see his wife's and it had a round barrel.
He is a very talented man.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
And I thought I was pretty handy when I made pot holders for my friends and family this past Christmas! Roll Eyes

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all have a different talent level.