New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Local gun shop has a SKB model 500 (20g)2 3/4" with 26" barrel.I thought the SKB were imported for Ithaca,this one says Mitsui & Co Chicago.Any idea of age and value on this nice overunder?

Posts: 132 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SKB's were marketed under the Ithaca name for a time, and were also imported and sold under their own name. Only the barrel markings were different so far as I know. A Model 500 probably dates to the 1970's but could be later.

The original SKB company went out of business a number of years ago and was later reorganized as "The New SKB Company" which currently builds and imports shotguns similar to the originals but differing a bit and having different model numbers.

The 500 was the basic O/U (they also offered an upgraded 600, 700, and an uncataloged 800), but quite nice. Value would depend on condition, however a 26" 20 gauge will bring more money than any length of 12 gauge. In mint condition around $1,000 would seem about right, but that is only one (old and stingy) man's opinion.

BTW: I shot a borrowed SKB 500 12 gauge O/U in Denmark last December at pheasants and mallards and was very pleased with it. The crossbolt action seems not quite as "tight" as some other O/U actions (which is not necessarily a bad thing). It is a very strong action, however, with a positive lock-up.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot an SKB 500 trap to pieces, literally, while using it to win 3 Louisiana State Doubles Championship. It got to be kind of a joke, I had the rib taped on where it was coming off, the part of the stock covering the actual sears, etc. broke off so I duct taped and epoxied it back on. My gun looked like it had lost a knife fight. However, that was a result of many, many thousands of shots in practice (back then unless I was at a shoot, it was a very rare week when I didn't shoot at least 600 doubles targets) and competition and the gun itself never failed to shoot. I liked the gun because it was lighter than almost all doubles trap guns and I could get from the first shot to the second bird faster, or, at least, it seemed so to me.

I think they are good guns. I've still got the old warrior somewhere, who would buy it? Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up an older SKB M600 in 28 ga.at a gun auction recently. It was imported by Mitsui Co. in Chicago. A Field model.
Very good firearm - underrated.
Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a few of them and my son still has a nice 500 sxs. They are nice guns and hold up well to hunting.

Nothing holds up very well to competition shooting. A friend of mine shot a nice Perazzi to death shooting competition trap. It took lots of shooting though.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Henderson:
I have owned a few of them and my son still has a nice 500 sxs. They are nice guns and hold up well to hunting.

Nothing holds up very well to competition shooting. A friend of mine shot a nice Perazzi to death shooting competition trap. It took lots of shooting though.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm confused. Is your son's SXS Model 500 built by SKB or by Miroku? Thanks.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote