Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading setup
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
O.k. I've had it. Completely, utterly had it.

I don't mind paying $4 or 5 a box for target shells, but $16 for copperplated shot, and the same or more for steel?

Heck, it's getting to where I have to go through a "cost/benefit analysis" before I dare pull the trigger...... [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, I'm going to reload. I've sat in on a couple of clinics locally, read the books, have a generic "shot shell reloading" manual. Basically, I will be loading about 10 boxes of copper plate, 10 boxes of steel, and about 100 boxes of target loads a year in 12 ga. Yes, I know the economics are marginal, but the therapy value alone is more than worth it.

I'm leaning to picking up a MEC steelmaster, some copper plated 6's, some steel, some grex, the right wads/powder, SST hulls, and having-at. Am I on the right track?

Keep me on the straight and narrow, guys. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Check out Precisionreloading.com and do the math.Steel shot it'nt cheap,,Good luck! And Happy Shooting! [Wink]

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Clay, I used the calculator at

http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

It shows that in 380 shotshells of copper plate, the reloader is paid for. Or 340 steel loads (depends on the charge weight, mostly).

Also would allow me to shoot bismuth without having to take out a second mortgage...... though $22 per box of reloads? OUCH!

Don't save much of anything on target loads, though. Saves on therapist bills, though [Wink] .

Like metallic reloading, I want to start so I can shoot a better load. Question is: which loader? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion you can't go wrong with any MEC shotshell loading tool. They work well and give excellent results. You can get less expensive tools or more expensive ones, but the chepaer ones aren't nearly as good, and the more expensive ones offer only a marginal increase in quality. Also, it's easy to get replacement parts and accessories for MEC tools.

[ 10-31-2002, 05:36: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
I agree that the steelmaster is the way to go. Either that or a sizemaster w/ a steel adaptor kit. This is the setup I have for my 10 ga. I also have a older singel stage 12 ga and just purchased a progressive MEC for trap loads. I have a RCBS for rifle shells and a turret press for pistol shooting. I'm in the process of building a hunting/reloading room in my basement for all my accesories as well.
In case you can't tell, I really enjoy reloading and working up different and better loads.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch: I've loaded a butt-load of shotshells through the years, but like you am primarily a metallic reloader. As such, the single-stage MEC seems best for me. It's economical and produces a shell identical to the higher-priced progressive models. It is also simpler to use and lends itself to "batch" work, much like you normally do with metallics. In other words, I'll deprime/resize and maybe reprime in one operation, then come back and load in another operation, maybe separated by days or weeks (or sometime even years!) This just works best for me and allows me to use a much less expensive machine. For greater versatility (and much better charging accuracy), I'll even use my rifle powder measure to dump the powder charge, then double-shuffle the shot bar to charge with shot. You just don't have this option with a progressive set up.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote