Find
Notify
Tools

A good find
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted
My soon to be son in law has just passed his hunter's exam and will start to hunt this coming season. I found him his first gun : a 12 ga Webley & Scott, 40 years old, NIB and unfired thumb

I wish my father in law had done the same for me...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Niiiiiiiiiice! beer

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
You must like him .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun!! Real nice..he should enjoy that for many years.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I do like him a lot indeed (among my daughter's boyfriends, he's actually the only one I ever accepted, while the others were coldly discarded at first sight). He's German, intelligent, educated, litterate, respectful and loves my daughter + guns and hunting. He had never fired a shot and I trained him in preparation for the hunting exams. According to his examinator, he shot the best rifle group of the season and broke 7/10 clays (this was only the 2nd. time he used a shotgun in his life ; a gift maybe). I'm sure to have gained a good partner for hunting years to come. The only problem is that they marry on 09/09 before leaving on a 3-week honeymoon, right at the start of the pigeon season Frowner

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun looks nice, send pic of daughter. roflmao

Actually sounds like you're gaining a hunting partner, hope his wife/your daughter is the understanding type. Does she hunt?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,
What model Webley & Scott and what barrel lengths. How on earth did you find one new in the box?
Regards,
Terry

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Being my daughter, she was extensively exposed and is therefore much more sympathetic to hunting than her mother (= my wife...). She actually intended to hunt but but the amount of preparation for the legal exams turned her off when she entered university, then became a headhunter, etc. Here's a pic of Lorraine with her fiancé Christopher, taken at their engagement party.

About the Webley & Scott, there's no model marking on it, apart from maker's name, caliber, serial nr. (all engraved and not stamped, BTW) and British proofmarks. There's no actual "box" either, the gun had been sitting on the gunstore shelve for more than 35 years (it was already there when the actual owner took over the business). What convinces me of the unfired condition is that the case colouring of the receiver is absolutely unblemished (there will be "rings" on the breech face in just a few shots). Thinking of it, one might compare our story to a new form of... shotgun wedding Wink

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,
Congratulations, you have a very pretty daughter and you have a future son in law you will enjoy in the field. Life is treating you well but I imagine you have earned it. The young man is starting off with a wonderful shotgun.

I am rebuilding a S/S that was made by P. Gosuin, Charleroi. I have found some information on the maker but not much. It has similar lines to yours.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,
Congratulations on your shotgun find. It's very nice.

Also, best wishes to the new couple.
Best regards,
Terry

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Chic, your shotgun was made between 1902 - 1927. I found the following info :

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identif.../a%20gosuin%20fr.htm

I'm prepared to translate in English if you wish.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre, if you could translate, it would be much appreciated and I thank you for your efforts. I have seen the same poster on a german gun reference list on Double Gun bulletin board

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Your wish is my command, Sir :

GOSUIN Pierre
Rue de Dampremy, 15
CHARLEROI

Was the maker of the s/s RECORD shotgun (B.A.M. nr. 88-89), while the brand holder was BITTINER Carl, rue des Prémontrés, 28 in Liège (MD deposited on 06/15/1905).

The SCHOLBERG Cy. did also deposit the RECORD "special steel" brand (MD) on 04/30/1910.

The firm's management was taken over by LERUITE E. in 1927.

POSTCARD

GUN FACTORY
Gun-, riflemaker of Liège
(patented)
GOSUIN Pierre

Gun- & riflemaker from Liège, Pierre Gosuin left to establish in Hainaut (= other Belgian province) and was registered as such in the BEL (=Liège's proofhouse) from 1902-1907. The RECORD s/s pictured on the postcard (1911) shows double lateral trunnions, one of his specialties, as stated in a letter of 1926 where he introduces a cartridge of his own production.

In 1927, he leaves over the management of his manufacture "Maison Pierre Gosuin" to E. LERUITE, a gunmaker from Liège (probably a descendant from the Leruitte family, registered in the BEL 1854 -1911).

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre, thank you very much.

Chic Worthing

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I took the lad to some clay shooting, so as to verify if his new prize did indeed go "bang"... it did very well. Proof that the gun was still in unfired condition, the breech face is now marked with rings around the firing pin holes, where the colour case hardening was unblemished before.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These W&S Boxlocks are among the best values on the market today...English styling & Handling, Chopper lump barrels, really nice wood, excellent craftsmanship....buy them up - A SxS made today to those specs would cost in excess of 15K....You can order one from Dale Tate and see for yourself!

Andre - excellent gun - I have one as well!

Jeff