Find
Notify
Tools

Did Winchester miss the boat?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Did Winchester miss the boat in not producing the Super X 1 in a scaled down version in 20 Gauge? I for one REALLY think that they missed a golden oppertunity!!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
There are some that think Winchester missed the boat by producing the SX-1 at all!

No, if you mean "SX-2 / SX-3" as Winchester branded guns are simply part of Herstal Group-- as in Browning Gold. More 20's there than you can shake a stick at.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I think they did but the problem with the Super X 1 was the price relative to other semi autos.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Chick

quote:
I think they did but the problem with the Super X 1 was the price relative to other semi autos

Yep it was a bit pricy.

I have always thought that if Winchester had made a 20 gauge super X 1 they would have blown the Remington 1100 20 gauge out of the water.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I bought the super X 1 I currently have back in 1977. I have picked up several barrels for it over the years. It has been a fantastic shotgun and still shoots like a champ even today. If they had made it in a 20 gauge. I would have picked one up as well just have a little brother for my 12 gauge.

I am afraid that it would not have faired any better then it's big brother though. The cost to manufacter it would have been roughly the same. So the retail cost to the customer would still be on the high side as mentioned. It is a shame though. Definitly a quality firearm in my book.

Jim

Posts: 7 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 18 November 2005Reply With Quote