New
Find
Notify
Tools

engaging ejectors
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a SxS by Westley Richards at auction. The gun was listed as an extractor gun, but I find it has ejectors, just not working.
Is there a chance that the ejectors have been disabled for target shooting? How would I check it out, or is there an easy way to correct this?
Incidently, the gun is also a droplock model.
Any suggestions on getting this old gun ejecting again appreciated.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great gun, my little W.R. is so pretty that my wife confiscated it! To answer your question, if you have the Deeley ejector system, it is possible that the leaf spring was removed to deactivate it, or possibly it broke. Not an insurmountable problem. I typed in westley richards ejector problems in Google and it came up with a magazine article that had a link to a Midway Reloading video on exactly your problem! They have an older English gunsmith on with Larry Potter and they take a W.R. boxlock and show how to disassemble the forend to remove the ejector system. It is a clear and informative video, not hard to do if you have the proper screwdrivers. I have yet to go to Midways site, but they have a number of these videos on different repairs on English shotguns and regular guns in general. Check it out! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lee
I was just coming on to post an update. Turns out that unlike all of my other doubles, this Westley Richards required the full recoil of a live round to activate the sears in the ejectors. While it failed on every attempt to eject the snap-caps, fired rounds came flying out of the chambers as good as anything! All is good.
Now my only regret, is that I would have been there live at the auction to try the gun on for size. The LOP is about an inch and a half short for me. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jimmy 1.

That's odd the ejector issue as my late father's gun has a Westley Box ejector system (as yours most probably has) and ejects snap caps no problem.

It's a real pain in the arse ejector system if it is a Westley Box! Not merely three pieces like on the sensible Southgate system but a little box with all sorts of bits and pieces inside. And all tiny!

Burrard in his "The Modern Shotgun" has a good explanation of it. The recoil to work thing I really don't buy into. I thinks there's a fault somewhere.

Have you emailed W-R with the serial number to ask if it has this unique "recoil set" ejector method? Seems odd to me.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had already viewed the youtube section mentioned by Lee, above. You're right! The Westley ejector system is like a complete lock assembly, sear and all.
I haven't really given any thought to contacting Westley Richards directly. This wasn't a heavy investment piece, I just like using vintage shotguns on my field travels, and thought a Westley would be a nice addition to my collection when the opportunity arose.