THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    L.C. Smith 10ga double w/damacis barrels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L.C. Smith 10ga double w/damacis barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I have the chance to purchase a near new L.C. Smith 10ga shotgun, it was made in 1912 and has damacis barrels. I know the shot gun can fire light loads of smokeless powder, would a 10 ga 23/4in shell fit this description. I think it would make a great show gun but I wont own it if I cant use it. plz help me

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dark Paladin, I can't answer your questions but I have one also. However, mine is about 60%, not in very good condition. It's a wall hanger. I was given this gun by my Grandmother when my Grandfather died. I think I was twelve. He probably never cleaned it and it has two patches "sweated" on the left bbl. (My Great Uncle was a blacksmith) I had it for two or three years before I ever opened the breech because I didn't know how. You have to push the front trigger forward to open the Breech. A lot of sentimental value but no practical value. Good luck with yours.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
While I wouldn't hesitate to use appropriate (read low pressure) loads in a British gun with Damascus barrels struck by a reputable maker and which had been nitro proofed in either the Birmingham or London proof house, I would hesitate to do so with an Elsie 10b that had not been nitro proofed. There are importers here in the US that will send your gun to London for re-proof for around US$300 or so, but there's no guarantee that the proof load won't destroy the gun. Hill Rod & Gun www.hillrodandgun.com is one such importer, I believe, that provides this service.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are differing schools of thought here, but IMO I would not buy that gun as a shooter. If the price is right it might make a good collector's piece. It doesn't mean that you can't shoot it, but I've seen the barrels after several damascus barrels let go, and they usually do so about where you hand is. I like my fingers and see no advantage to using a damascus barrel and some serious downside if things don't go as planned. Like red Green said, there are exceptions, but in general I think shooting them is asking for trouble. You could sleeve the barrels easily enough, of course, but, like the monkey pissing on the cash register, it all runs into money.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the summer issue of Double Gun Journal, there is an article about this very subject. They tested a bunch of loads using a pressure gauge. I was thinking of buying it for my own keeping, if you would like a copy e-mail me.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote