Find
Notify
Tools

The dreaded "F" word.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As in Flinch. Got 'em.

Nothing at regular trap, but at sporting clays and 5 stand they've showed up on longer shots that require a little more time, such as long crossers.

On wobble trap it'll be the low straight-away and low lefts and rights, and in skeet it'll be---go figure---high one and low eight.

Nothing too serious yet, perhaps one or two out of 75 targets.

My first remedy was to go to a low gun mount, rather than a pre-mount, and to be more aggressive and shoot just a little quicker. So far it seems to have helped.

Have a registered shoot coming up. !!!!!!!!!!

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Orvis book explains those long sporting clays shots --'they give you plenty of time to decide how you want to miss them' !! 2020

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with flinching and trigger yanking in shooting shotguns.

I do that all the time, and still do.

I do the same thing while hunting too, shooting off the shooting sticks.

One does not get the luxury of gently squeezing the trigger until the gun goes off like shooting off a bench.

The secret is WHEN to flinch and pull the trigger clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67046 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can jerk the trigger but you can , instead do a fast squeeze.That's the best way.

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
I had a shooting instructor that helped me get rid of a flinch the following way but it takes 2 people. You, the shooter, don't know if gun is loaded or not when you pull the trigger. They only load gun when you go through shot without flinching.

Get into position without gun and eyes closed. Second person does not load gun, but does make action work as if loading (you won't know loaded or not). You go through shot and "fire" gun. You then find out if it was loaded from the bang or click, but you concentrate on proper trigger squeeze.
Then you continue this back and forth with second person "loading" till your not flinching, then randomly the gun is loaded without you knowing. If you flinch, it's starts over until you no longer flinch. Once your not flinching with the shot, it randomly doesn't get loaded, to reinforce proper trigger squeeze.

The important thing about this is that the second person is watching you and making the decision to load or not based on their impression of your form. You have no input into it.

Hope this helps.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote