New
Find
Notify
Tools

24-inch O/U ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Saw a 24-inch factory barreled Browning Citori Uplander with straight English stock for sale.

Any thoughts on 24-inch O/U barrels ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:

Saw a 24-inch factory barreled Browning Citori Uplander with straight English stock for sale.

Any thoughts on 24-inch O/U barrels ?

Um, I don't like them? Big Grin

how did she swing for you?

Did it fit?

How's it choked?

What do you want it for? It could be handy in a very small hide but I've managed fine with 28" barrels in that situation.

In terms of ballistics, I think I read somewhere that Robert Churchill discovered that you lose a negligible amount of performance.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 24-incher isn't too bad on an auto or a pump with its longer receiver, but the O/U is already three to four inches shorter than the pump/auto, so with 24" barrels the O/U does seem very stubby. It might be pretty good for quick, close-flushing game, but will be "whippy" when swinging for longer shots/ pass shooting as compared to a more conventional barrel length.

Also, as compared to longer barrels, you'll be surprised at how much more muzzle blast is created by the loss of a few inches of barrel length, plus bringing the muzzle a few inches closer to your face.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one in 20ga with a straight grip. I used it on Woodcock and Grouse with success. More of an instinctive "point and fire" type of gun, but that's what I needed.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one in 20 ga also I used it for shooting clays one handed.

At 5lbs 2oz I found it to light weight for me on longer crossing shots. I just couldn't get the proper swing through with it.

I found my 6lb doubles just handled better for me.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone is different, but it wouldn't work for me. I am a very quick, fast swinger and a short barrel makes me jerky and stabby in my shooting. I like a 28 in barrel on doubles, 26 on autos as a minimum. I do have a 5-lb 28 ga with 27's that balances perfectly and I shoot it very well, it probably works because it is so small.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do have a 5-lb 28 ga with 27's that balances perfectly and I shoot it very well, it probably works because it is so small.

If I were to catch you alone at an unguarded moment in a dark ally, you wouldn't have such a shotgun for long. Big Grin

Posts: 8 | Location: Henly, Tx | Registered: 01 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I never liked the swing of a short barrel on an O/U

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote