THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    World All Around Shotgun Championships
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World All Around Shotgun Championships
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
This is a hot topic on the competition shotgun sites. I thought someone here might be interested.

It looks like it will be held in Feb. or March and the many of the world’s best have already signed up. They may easily surpass the 20 competitor minimum so the payout should be well over $100K for first.

This is a first draft so the program and location still looks to be under debate but with only a $5K buy in (way over my budget but not too bad for the pros) and such big prize money it should be a huge event.

The post below was written by Scott Robertson out of TX who it setting it up and competing:

World All Around Shotgun Championships
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have wanted to bring back the All Around Championships for a long time. Special K you might remember I won the All Around Shotgun National Championships 3 times in the 90's. Jon Kruger and I have been talking about this for years. If we can get 20 shooters at $5000 the purse would be $90,000. That would be more than any Shoot payout ever.

Here is the format: 1000 Targets

200 English Sporting
100 5 Stand
50 FITASC
50 16 yard ATA Trap
50 27 yard ATA Trap
50 ATA Doubles
25 410 NSSA Skeet
25 28 ga. NSSA Skeet
25 20 ga. NSSA Skeet
25 12 ga. NSSA Skeet
50 NSSA Skeet Doubles
100 International Skeet
100 Bunker Trap
90 Flyers (Shot at Dec or Feb Flyer Shoot in Shreveport)
60 Helice/ZZ Bird

Shooter or sponsors can pay the bill. If a sponsor pays the entry and his or her shooter wins, the sponsor will recieve 80% of the purse and the shooter will recieve 20%. The purse would pay 50/30/20.

The event will be scheduled as soon as we get 20 shooters. The flyer part will take place at a scheduled event. The entry fee for the flyers will not be included in the entry fee. The Flyer part of the event may be taken out or modified for the open event, but will be part of my bet with Special K. The clay targets and Helice will be shot at Dallas Gun Club, Rock Creek or Elm Fork which ever the target setter chooses. When we get enough entries the shooters will vote on a target setter from a list of interested course designers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyler

www.boaring.com

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd like this better and would be more representative of each sport.

1) ATA - 200 16-yard, 100 handicap at 27 yards and 100 doubles.

2) NSSA - 250 12ga, 100 each of 20ga, 28ga, .410 and doubles.

3) Bunker - 250 targets

4) International Skeet - 250 targets

5) Flyers - 100 pigeons (25 at each of 4 ranges)

6) Plus whatever constitutes the Champoionship events for 5-stand, English Sporting and Fitasc.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB that is about double the # targets.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I can already see they're having trouble agreeing on the breakdown of the targets. It seems everyone wants it weighted toward "their" strenghts.

I see what you mean about trying to lump all the championship event formats together for the All Around. But I'm afraid time constraints would make that impossible. The FITASC championship alone is normally 4 days.

Personally I'd rather do a competitive "watching-paint-dry" event than shoot 200 16-yard trap targets. I'm not saying it's easy to run them but it sure isn't my idea of entertaining. Although I've shot competitive sporting for about 8 years I just shot my first ATA shoot. It was local and the prize money was tempting. I won about twice as much money as I've ever won at sporting but holy cow it was painfully slow and unimaginative. It will probably be another year before I can make myself do that again.

Oh well, whatever the final agreed format, I'm sure that All Around will be fun to follow. Although Robertson has won plenty of events and Kruger is incredible I still think Digweed will take it. He's extremely hard to beat at sporting or FITASC and he cut his competitive teeth winning world skeet titles. (I happened to be at the World FITASC when he won the title for something like the 7th time in KS. It was about the same time I won the CA FITASC Championship. I couldn't even run a 25 straight and he only missed 7 wildly twisting and turning targets in 4 days!!). There could also be some pigeon shooters that I'm not familar with that may show up and do well. Like that Cooley fellow who just ran 100 straight in the Sporting Nationals.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't bet a bean against Digweed in something like this.

A few years ago Digweed criticised Skeet as boring. A few skeet shooters took offense and challenged him to a match. He ran something like 375 straight before the last skeeter gave it up in agony.

A competition like this will be a test of concentration and endurance as much as pure skill.

I think the trap & skeet shooters will really suffer at the Fitasc. The sporting shooters like Digweed and Faulds should do well at the trap and skeet as long as there are limited numbers of targets and it does not turn into a test of concentration. Faulds won the olympic double trap a few years ago, was beaten most recently by Saeeds brother.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Brian,

I think I read about that same skeet event with Digweed. I thought 3 competitors ran straight for the targets over the weekend and then got into a shootoff. One shooter fell away early and George and another guy went on to Tuesday and the other guy missed around target 375.

It should be interesting.

Kyler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyler,
I have heard that they are taking about a $5k entry fee with 90% going to the winner. I certainly should attract the best of the best and would be interesting to see.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope this comes off, because I want to hear about how the box-bird guys do against the target shooters.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Chic, that's what they're publicizing, is $5K entry and 90% back. Now they're thinking maybe 30 shooters. Should make for some great competition.

Here's a link to the flyer:

Shoot Flyer

Yeti,
I've shot a few Helice/ZZ but I don't know much about flyers. I'll bet those guys will do pretty well on clays if they're past performance is any indication.

posted Hide Post
Throwing in 25 columbare (thrown) pigeons would sure be interesting. I doubt many non Texas -Mexico shooters have ever seen these.
Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn

Posts: 42 | Location: Corpus Christi, Republic of Texas (occupied) | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Did we say Digweed??

http://www.elmfork.com/world_all_around/World%20All%20Around%20Scores.pdf

He topped the second placed guy by 21 targets overall. 823x900

Interesting that he did not come out top on a single discipline (was joint top in Helice), but look at the averages. Scarily consistent.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
That chap doesn't seem to mind a little pressure..... Nice paycheck, too! Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Will you be inviting the Europeans and the Russions, or is it an anglophone kind of affair?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Wink,
It was an open invition to whoever wanted to put up the money as far as I know. If they were going to exclude anyone I'm sure they would have excluded Digweed.

I'm still a little stunned by the results. No 100 straights in American skeet, only 3 50's in doubles skeet, only 1 50 in 16 yard trap (!!!), high score of 46 at 27 yard trap, only one 50 in doubles trap, etc. I'm not saying I could do better I'm just really surprised some of the scores were this low with the names who showed up at this thing.

Those scores will probably really boost attendance next year if they do it again.

It looks like the sporting was the real separator with only 3 scores in the 90's.

I've already bumped into several serious trap and skeet shooters that claim they could have won it if it wasn't so heavily weighted toward sporting. That cracks me up. If you look at the program I think it's spread out pretty evenly. Especially since there's overlap of skeet and trap type targets in sporting, 5-Stand and FITASC.

It was an interesting experiment and I'll look forward to seeing if a ton more shooters jump in next year.

Kyler

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There's this guy out in Dubai, I think he's called Al Maktoum or something like that, who should have gone to your little shootout. Of course Olympic medals don't mean much when it's a money competition.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,
you are talking about Saeed brother.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Wink,
you are talking about Saeed brother.

That is definitely the person I referred to, intentionally. I think it would have been interesting to see an Olympic shooter on the line against some of the big names like Digweed.