THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Questions about 3 shotguns I have to use, which one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about 3 shotguns I have to use, which one?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I am hoping this is the right spot for this, might end up part of it goes in gunsmithing but since it is specific to shotguns I thought I would start here first.

I have only shot shotguns a couple of times in my life, a couple rounds of trap, a couple of skeet and a couple of 5 stand. I had a great time (other than skeet which was really hard). Now....

I went and did a few rounds the other day with my brother-in-law since he was in town and wanted to try it. I don't own a shotgun myself so borrowed my uncles.

This time I used a Remington 870 and Winchester Model 50. Now here is the problem...

something with the shape of my face, the cheekbone I guess, always causes me problems getting down behind iron sights. with these shotguns I end up with my cheekbone against the comb and just take a serious beating. it was worse on the 870, on the model 50 with only one bead an no full length rib I shot it for crap since I must not have been low enough to have the right sight plane.

Tonight my uncle dropped off my grandfather's old Savage 745 as another option. it has a shorter stock and sure enough, I can get down on it easier. It needs a new pad which is not a problem, but it does raise more questions.

If you all could help me with these I would appreciate it (please remember while I have been into guns the majority of my life shotguns are totally new to me and I know very little)

1. If I wanted to change the buttstock on one of these are there any semi-inlet options out there or is it a custom creation type deal? (a few years ago I was thinking about getting a shotgun and went to local store to handle about a dozen different guns, found I liked the english grip better, if I end up changing anything I will try and get rid of the pistol grips as well)

2. Which of these should I try and focus on using? which is the better gun? (hunting is not happening right now, and we're looking at maybe one outing to shoot every 4-6 weeks, wife just had second baby, plus it ain't cheap).

3. The savage 745, can anybody tell me anything about them, I can't find any information. It is a very ligthweight receiver, I want to know if it is safe to shoot modern loads, and if so only low base? Also, it seems like it has a very heavy spring, I had to give it more a good pull to rack the slide and then when I released it that bad boy really slammed shut hard).

4. As i go forward, in the future, should I get money....what are some good shotguns to keep an eye open for? I don't need new, just well made, reliable, mechanically sound. I love the look of side by sides, any reason not to look for one?

That's it. this was the first time I shot anything in months, got side tracked working on a hotrod with my uncle, but he is leaving for business again and won't be back for months, means I will be able to go back to guns more.

Thanks everybody.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I don't know anyone. I know I sure can't. Shoot three different guns on a skeet range the same day and do well with ANY of them. Maybe some guys are that good but I sure am not.

Each individual gun has it's own specific feel. It takes some practice with that one gun to get the mojo on it.

Shoot only one gun per day. Take notes. It will be a lot easier to determine which one you like better after that.

As far as most comfortable to shoot, I think the Beretta 390&391s lead the pack. In very close contention (in fact some will claim these kick even less) are the Winchester SX2, SX3 and Browning Silver and Gold shotguns.

The Rem 870 is a great pump but it will pound you, like most pumps tend to do. If you are recoil sensitive one of the above mentioned gas guns is the way to go.

O/Us are typically much easier for newbies to shoot than Side x Sides. The extra weight of two barrels helps follow thru. Single triggers are also easier for fledgling shotgunners to deal with as well.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Big Guy, I shot all but one round with the model 50. I have shot the 870 before, and shoot it well, but the comb is too high and my cheekbone gets pounded. the stock is a bit long too, otherwise I would probably be fine.

I appreciate the advice, I'll try the 745 next and see how I do.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the Savage 745 is a clone of the old Browning A-5. And while they do work, they also do kick! That is a given.
If you liked the 870 and shot it well, try and either rent or borrow a Remington 1100 or an 11-87. Both are gas guns and both handle very well for most shooters.
Also, if you have a friend that has a Benelli, etc. with the stock shims you might wish to try changing the drop in the stock and see if this helps you get down on the stock. If your local range has a pro around, try and get them to check out how you shoulder the gun when you mount it - sounds to me like you may be 'crawling' the stock.
I hope some of his helps.
"Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!"
[[I haven't used that signature line in a long time]]
trapperP

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DR,

If the comb is really too high for you, you could just shave it a bit? I don't know how comfortable doing something like that, but it shouldn't be very expensive to have a gunsmith do it. If you want another stock all together for the same gun, you should be able to find one already finished and ready to go on the gun somewhere, whether you buy one off of the internet from a private seller, or someone like Cabela's or Midway should have them (at least for the 870). Of the 3 you mentioned, I would stick with the 870, as it would be easiest to get parts for (ie stocks), might not be the BEST gun for clay target shooting, but it's the best in my opinion of the ones you have to work with. If you get another gun, like said above, the Beretta 390/391 would probably be your best bet. They're autos and will kick you less, and like the 870, there are parts galore for them, and many people that do work on them. In the meantime, though, getting another stock (if you can't cut the one you have on it) on the 870 and taking some sandpaper to it is probably your best bet.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote