THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Re: Side by side reccomendation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Side by side reccomendation.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Great thing to do: to look for a 20 guage SxS!!!

It really depends on your price and the style of SxS you like. Though you'll pay more for a 20 than a 12 all things being equal. Also remember that there has been a resurgence in the popularity of small bore SxS so prices have really gone up for 20s, 16s etc, and they are harder to find now.

If you are thinking in the 900-1800 range you have some options. Best thing to do is find shops and dealers in your area that carry double guns and have fun looking arround and seeing what you like. Also handling guns at your local range. If you don't see a lot of SxS at the clays range, you could see if you have a local chapter of the Vintagers and see some double guns. Its good to get arround and see what it out there and what you like.

For example on SxS there are lots personal preference: single vs. double triggers, splinter vs. beavertail foreends, pistol vs. demi-pistol vs. straight grip stocks, etc. Those who love one will tell you thats the only way to go, but you've really got to see what you like best.

Also the style of gun makes a big difference. When I think SxS I think British style double triggers, splinter foreend and straight stock. But there are a group of local guys at my range who have an informal SxS shoot. They all shoot and love American SxS: which often have beavertail foreend and pistol grips and are not interested in foreign made guns. We love SxS but have different tastes. Also, there are German/Austrian style guns which often have sling swivels and checkpieces (with lots of extra Greener cross bolts and dolls heads) which some love and others don't.

Some guns to look for (not a complete list):

American: Fox Steringworth, LC Smiths, low end Parkers,

German: old Sauers, Simons

Spanish: alots of good guns that are styled after British game guns, Ugartechea, Aya, Arrieta, etc.

Also keep you eyes open for European guild guns from France, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. Great bargains for high quality.

Just some of my thoughts

Good luck its fun thing to do!!!

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mssr's kutnay and Chassur:

Thank you for the very kind and informative replies.

I am sure that if I were a purist or just had more money lying around than I knew what to do with, I could just ring Bond Street and have one made to order and in a couple years, be enjoying it!

However, it seems that a boxlock BSS will be my target search and I'll see what else may cross my path in the meantime.

I would prefer a splinter forend and straight grip...but think a single slective trigger may be my only detour from the English style. I have 'made do' with whatever I had in the past and while I never felt poorly equipped......afterall, the hunt is what it's all about.....but the desire for a lightweight, tight, natural pointing two shooter has always been a dream of mine. I learned long ago that a 12 bore isn't required for birds...even grouse in heavy cover. I got tired of the 'bang-kerlunk' of the Auto Fives and the impersonal 1100, and the little 20 Citori just never felt the way I hoped it would, and so, I got bored with them all.

As for Miroku products, I find them hard to beat and actually amazed that an anti-gun society like Japan has the firearms craftsmen like they do. I have 2 model 1895 Winchester re-productions and compared to the originals I have inspected, the Miroku's are actually superior in fit and finish. Obviously, CNC machining has given us this wonderful benefit in harmony with modern metallurgy.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a BSS in a 20 ga, I found it at a local gun shop. They told me who owned it, and the guy that had it was a friend of mine as a kid. He was 20 years older than me and took me on several hunts.I wanted this gun in a bad way. The people at the shop told me the gun would not shoot the second barrel at all. I looked at it and it looked in good shape. I didn't have the money so I told everyone I knew that was looking for a SxS to check it out. The next time I went in it was gone. Later at christmas time I got a special present. My wife had heard me talking about the gun. She told the guy she knew the gun would not shoot and got it for $250.00
I took the stock off the reciver and found the problem. There was so much build up of crud on the trigger that after I pulled the trigger it would not swing forward to reset the second barel. I used solvent to clean the whole thing and sure enough the second barrel worked like a charm. I entered a SxS sporting clays shoot once. This is the only contest I have ever entered, and I won. To be honest I kicked the crap out of the rest of the guys.
If you find one of these you will like it. It is a solid, hunting SxS gun. I do wish mine had more open chokes. Here is a picture of me and the gun. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fellers,

I have decided that I would like to own a sexy little 20 ga. SxS shotgun..one that handles and points like an extension of my arm, yet won't require the sale of my children or mortage of the home. I confess, I don't know a damned thing about side by sides, other than the fact that they cost too damned much.

With that being said, forget crowing about Purdey's and Boss's and all those other fine gentlemen's guns be they from Italy or here in the States. I will do well to afford a factory built gun from some of the common makers. So, how do the offerings from Ruger, Weatherby, Browning and maybe the low end Italian guns compare in price and value for the dollar spent, thanks.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi Jumptrap

Nice to see a fellow caster here (assuming that you are *that* jumptrap).

I have an Ithaca SKB 20ga sidy by side that (to me, anyway) has great balance. It isn't a Boss or a Purdey, but then neither is the price! Mine has been hunted hard for I guess 25 years -- no problems at all and I still love the way it balances.

These guns are much sought after, so the resale on a used one is kind of high. See a used one

or another one

I can also recommend AYA (the great Spanish shotgun maker) for a reasonably affordable s/s with great balance. See

Spanish shotguns for some more ideas! (Arrieta's are great if not out of your price range).

If your pockets are deep enough to let you consider $US 6000, consider

Bill Hanus who enhances a great AYA...

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Two pretty good deals in a less expensive 20 ga are the Huglu Bobwhite or Ringneck from Armscorp or the Bakail guns at EAA. Either is well under $1000 new and while I haven't owned a Bakail I've seen enough of their other guns to suspect it is a servicable shotgun (but not necessarily sexy).

I have a Huglu Bobwhite in 410 which is quite a gun for the money. Check out Armsco and EAA .

If you're talking over $1000 and under $2000 you get a lot more choices, including decent used guns that cost $3500 or more new like some AyAs, J.P. Sauer, used American Brownings, Parkers and what-not. Side by sides are probably the best used-gun deals going at the moment because of the cult of Over/Under-ism

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jumptrap:

To start off with, let me point you to Chasseur in this thread who can talk to you about doubles. (Go back and find his posts)

For myself, I'm curious as to why you want a "sxs". The way you phrase it, I know you are not as old as me when we referred to "doubles" (and didn't mean over and unders either) I grew up with doubles but I wonder if you have some idea that a double is something that looks better to carry as someone who wants to look "good" as a "hunter". I hope not and I assure you that I don't mean to insult you. A double is not so hot for duck hunting (Yeah, I hear you guys who use one but that third shot from a semi or a pump would be nice to finish off the second bird who is fluttering in the water and trying to get to the weeds and you want to try to slip another shell in and look for a long shot ) A double is great for upland hunting. It is easy to carry, easy to break open, easy to unload when you have to cross roads (or walk along a road but keep ready for a shot)It's a perfect bird hunting shotgun for anything except ducks from a blind, maybe, (and I shot mallards along brooks longer I suspect before you did in any blind) Please understand that I mean no insult to you. It's simply that I'm much older than you. You really have to think about what you want a double for. Personally, I hope you adopt a double. I always thought it was a gentleman's shotgun.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best value at the moment is the Uggi from Lion Country Supply www.lioncountrysupply. />
Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the information and I will indeed look into the Browning BSS....that is more or less just what I am looking for.....a quality gun from a reputable maker (Miroku in disguise, I assume) yet still affordable. Of course, I'd like to be well heeled enough to afford a hand built and fitted 'double' with plenty of snob appeal, but that is just a pipe dream for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If, you take your time and watch how you buy, you should be able to find a BSS boxlock for about a grand in mint shape and that is a hell of a buy on todays market. The sidelocks will run about $3800.00-$5500.00 and are well worth it.

I love combination guns and own two, a recent Merkel drilling and a Browning-Miroku Mod. 7500, in .308-12 Ga. The Merkel sells new for several grand, the Browning cost me less than two grand in '89 and it is, IMO, a superior piece to my Merkel. I have an 1886 SRC repro. by Miroku as well, it is customized and is my working Grizzly gun as it is so smooth, reliable and well made. I don't think much of the A-Bolt, but, I am very high on the other guns Miroku manufactures, the quality is first class and they function superbly, in my experience.

If, you find a BSS-Boxlock, straight stock, 28" tubes, 20 bore, you can have the chokes let out by Briley's and you will have an outstanding gun which will outlast your grandchildren.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote