Find
Notify
Tools

2 1/2"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Two Sauers and Parker and an LC Smith 12ga 2 1/2 and a short chamber 16 ga.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice guns.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
richj:

All are beautiful looking doubles. (I'm old enough to remember when "double" did not mean O&U -which was always called, just that, O&U) They made my heart ache with memory as to why I always thought the double was the supreme example of the gunmaker's art.

One question - and I may be suffering from an old man's memory -or worse- ignorance. But the listing of names you gave would put the Parker as #3 and the L.C. Smith as #4. #3 looks like a boxlock and the "Elsie" looks like a sidelock. Frankly, I don't remember that a Parker was ever a boxlock. (I freely admit that my memory could be at fault) Anyway, I envy you as the owner of such fine doubles.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've been told a lot of LC's were sidelocks. Unfortunately they're not mine.

Sauer 12 ga 2 1/2"
Sauer 16 ga 2 1/2"

Parker 12 ga 2 1/2"
LC Smith 12ga 2 3/4"

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parkers were all boxlocks and the LC Smiths were sidelocks.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customstox:

On previous occasions on other threads I had come to respect your expertise on shotguns. Thus I felt very much put in my place on reading your post that Parkers were boxlocks. Being perfectly sure that you were wrong, I googled - and learned that it wasn't me who was right. I was even more astonished to learn that L.C. Smiths were almost always sidelocks. Being of an age when I had been in the field for upland birds when both were often carried (and I often saw them), I realized that finally, my memory was failing me. Thanks a lot, Customstox! Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote