New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identifying my Superposed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have this used but not abused 20 ga. Superposed. 2-3/4 and 3", ser#23422, round knob grip, vent pad, ventilated rib, 28" barrels, * and **- Gold Trigger 1961 full and modified Improved It is the lightening model

Can someone identify this guns name and History and perhaps a ball park figure..Its really a nice old gun all the barrel blue is 99% with bottom of action showing blue wear from carrying ; wood shows light surface scratches in the finish. Thanks to Dogcat for passing on his knowledge. Ive always had one high dollar shotgun to show off as any gun nut would do, but my life was spent with rifles and big game and varmints.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have a similar situation. I have a Citori in 12 G. that is all it says, + when folks ask what model, etc. I don't have a clue; only that it's a Browning Citori O/U.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Browning book says it was made in 1961.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Im having trouble identifying the choke s...Its * and **-, what does the bar indicate

modified what?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Full (*) and Improved cylinder (**-). I am supposing that your Superposed is a Standard or Grade 1, as you don't mention any fancy engraving like that found on the Pigeon, Diana, or Midas Grades. Value would be dependent on its condition and without seeing it, I couldn't venture a fully educated guess, although in my opinion it would likely be around $1800-$3000 from what you've described so far. I do know that 28" barrels on a 20 gauge are desirable for some, rather than the 26.5" barrels that the 20 gauges usually carry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is engraved on the action and is a lightening model, LOP is 13-3/4 not 7/8s. low barrel is **_ IMP-cyl? I'm slowly figuring out what I have thnks to the assists in this thread..All I ever cared about was how it patterned and how many birds It got! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Improved cylinder is **-. Does it have a short or long tang? I would suppose that it has a long tang on a gun made in 1961. The Standard or Grade 1 does have standard engraving on a blued action-nothing fancy like the higher grades.

Here is the entire list of Browning choke markings. Remember, this is for the Belgian guns:

Full = *
Improved Modified = *-
Modified = **
Improved Cylinder = **-
Skeet = **$ (maybe Browning thought that skeet shooters had beau coup loot?)
Cylinder = ***

All of this comes from THE best book on the Browning: Ned Schwing’s “The Browning Superposed”, Krause, 1996.

one of us
posted Hide Post
long tang, engraved action and the underside of action has lightening engraved in scroll, Im told this makes a significant difference in value??

I get a lot of by gosh and by golly locally Eeker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that the word Lightning engraved in scroll on the underside makes a significant difference in value. It is a Standard or Grade 1 in the Lightning model. I just saw one like yours, only in near mint condition, go for $2900. I have seen another one, apparently new and unused and made in 1961 with upgraded wood, a new Browning hard case with keys, and in full and modified, listed for $4500 and no movement on it at all. I think that yours would be in the low to mid range that I mentioned before. But, sometimes value is in the eye of the beholder, in spite of all other practical things considered.

Here is another recent listing on one of the well-known gun sites that should put your shotgun in perspective from a purchase standpoint:

"Belgium Browning Lightning Superposed 4 Barrel Set NIB!!

Description:
Ser no 19292S73, 410, 20, 28, 12ga, All are 26" Vent Rib, SK/SK, Number's Match, 14 1/2" Lop to Browning Pad, Everything comes in its original box with paperwork, Also Comes with Browning 4 barrel Case, Everything is New!! Buyer pays 100.00 shipping Pa residents add 6% sales tax, Price is for check or money order, Cc add 3%

Price: $7,995.00"

Now, that's for a FOUR BARREL superposed set, all new in box and with a Browning four barrel hard case. The four barrel set are all Standard or Grade 1 Lightnings.

The real value in Superposeds comes with those in the Pigeon, Diana and Midas Grades, and in new or near mint condition. Those can command some hefty dollars.

Ray, just go and shoot some upland game with yours and enjoy it! tu2

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
round knob, long tang, 20 ga in good condition will bring about $2200.... if its been cut, knock off $500... i see them for more, but they don't sell.... i sold a nice, (less than 100 round) short tang 20 ga in a hard case for $2k.... it was a hard sell... lots of coon-fingers, but no buyers...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
My local store said they would sell on consignment for $2100 to $2200..Thats what I have in mind but Im going to hang onto it for a while, I might be able to walk a bobwhite with dogs in Texas, Im exercising my ass 0ff, but its damn slow results.

BTW I would trade for the same in a 28 ga.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW I would trade for the same in a 28 ga.

Good luck, Ray. A superposed in 28 gauge will usually bring a premium price. There are currently two used grade 1 superposeds listed for sale on a well known gun website-one for 9K and the other for 10K. If you could somehow talk someone into trading their beloved 28 gauge grade 1 lightning superposed for your 20 gauge grade 1 lightning superposed you will, in my opinion, have performed quite the feat. It is highly unlikely that anyone will take you up on that trade offer, but who knows? Someone might. Or, you could go with, and purchase the four barrel set listed above on GunsInternational and you could have a grade 1 superposed lightning in all four gauges. Big Grin