Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peep Sight on a Slug Gun?
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone use one? Like it better than regular open sights? Use the largest available apeture?

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here is my 2 cents-

I like peep sights, my sons muzzle loader that he uses for deer has one.

That said, it seems like slug guns are primarily used to hunt deer, and I like the extra light a scope gives in the morning and evening (hunting hours aside, some woods get dark quicker than otehrs). So I'd recommend a scope over a peep sight. If you really want to have a peep however, I'd suggest the williams ghost ring sight and whatever base the have that fits your gun.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them on rifles but not shotguns. A proper ghost ring is fast and accurate ! 1/8" square post and a 3/16" aperture seems to be the best .

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about this same question on a "riot gun" that I can get with either a standard bead or an adjustable "ghost ring" peep for nearly the same price. It's a no-choke smoothbore, and while its intended purpose is defensive, I'd use it for fun shooting and who knows, just might try it for skeet or close range hunting. (I bagged lots of rabbits and quail when I was a youngster with an old 18" cylinder bore Remington Model 11 U.S. military riot gun.) I'm just wondering if anyone's tried wing shooting with a "ghost ring" and could comment on whether it's an impediment or not. (I'm inclined to think it wouldn't be.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote