Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
I'm looking to get into duck and goose hunting and I want my own rifle. I am, like everyone else, on a budget. I like the browning BPS but it's twice the money. What do you guys think of the 870???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 870 is a good solid shotgun and if it fits you it will be a great shotgun for you. i believe it is the big boy tinker toy of shotguns. there are so many accessories for it you can make it into anything you want. i don't believe getting any parts will ever be an issue with it if anything ever breaks. thousands ride around in trunks and racks in police cars with little or no maintenence and they keep on working.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than 10 million 870s made so they must be doing something right! Rather like a Ruger 10/22; millions sold, rock solid reputation, parts and accessories readily available, easy to buy (or sell) as used guns.

For pure value for the money it is hard to beat the Weatherby PA-08. The several I've tried were always very well made, reliable, nice looking and with a good Weatherby warranty.

Currently their web site shows a synthetic stocked model at under $300 and another stocked in nice looking wood for a bit over $400.

Don't mean to sound like a Weatherby salesman but the synthetic stocked Weatherby shotguns and Vanguard rifles are incredible values at present. Have to wonder how long they can be sold at such moderate prices.

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave I'll have a look. Sometimes the prices in Canada are goofy and the availablity is poor but still worth a look.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The 870 is one of the all-time great shotguns, ever. I don't shoot one very much anymore, but I have 5 or 6 of them and they're all great shotguns. I used to shoot them quite a bit when I was younger, and still do sometimes. They are the very definition of RELIABLE. Great pointing guns too.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this fall Wall-Mart of China had the cheapie model for $209.99 I own two older ones.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bcguy, another gun for you to consider is the Norinco HP-9. It's a Chinese-made copy of the 870, even less expensive than the original, and the one I have is every bit as reliable as my several 870's. In some ways its even nicer than the current 870's...it has a metal trigger guard in lieu of the plastic one on the 870. All 870 accessories, stocks, etc. will fit the HP-9. If you're on a tight budget it's worth a look. You can get one by mail from Epps or one of the other big mail-order outfits.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get a Wingmaster and not an Express. Better on the insides!

870s are notorious for rusting though.
Going to get my 870WM blue duty gun done in one of the "duracoat" or parkerizied.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make sure you get a Wingmaster and not an Express. Better on the insides!

bewildered

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bc300winguy--"I'm looking into duck and goose hunting and want to own my own rifle". In the states a rifle isn't legal for ducks and geese.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks carpatman1........gag gag