THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Bench testing a pump action slug gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bench testing a pump action slug gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do you go about bench testing a slug gun to find out its accuracy potential?

I have a Remington 870 pump and this is what I do:

I put the bottom of the receiver (near the bottom loading gate) on top of my Hart rifle rest and use a sand filled "bunny ear" bag at the back. When shooting, I hold firmly down on the forearm to control the "jump." I find that this works best for me.

I've seen many put the forearm right on the rest. Seems to me that there would be a lot of movement there.

How do you do it to get the best, most consistant results? Any suggestions?

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
because of the recoil, i dont fight the gun. I hold the forarm in my hand, place my hand on the bag/front rest. No bag in back. This lets me and the gun recoil together. I make sure i am sitting up straight so the shoulder fits flat on the recoil pad, another pad under my elbow,trigger finger arm. When watching other shooters, i have seen the rest rock under recoil causing the shots to string vertically when shooters try to force the gun to stay put.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use to use my Dad's Model 37 Featherlite Ithaca in 12 gauge. I had a smooth bore slug barrel for it plus a scope. Testing it at the bench is a REAL PAIN!!! the recoil is so great the gun jumps off the rest. I could only fire it three time, before my shoulder got sore which lasted for days. I now use a Browning Gold Deer Hunter in 20 gauge which has FAR LESS recoil.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I have found that I shoot better groups with my hand under the forearm and on top of the rest.
John

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote