Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Recoil
 Login/Join

posted
How much difference in felt recoil would there be between a Rem 1100 and a Rem 870 in 12 ga. ? I am buying my 15 yr old son a shotgun and prefer the cost and durability of the pump.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Somewhere between a quarter to a third. Depends a little on the load. A light target load will have almost NO recoil in an 1100, but a heavy field load will.

If it's just for shooting in the field, it doesn't really matter, but if you plan to do any kind of target shooting, go with the 1100. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure of the newer model 1100's but mine will hardly cycle light loads at all after a few rounds (Until you clean the action). They may have addressed this issue in the past couple of years. I have a couple Beretta 391's that I use now that will cycle ALL loads with no problem through 1,000s of rounds with light recoil. My 13 and 15 year old sons shoot 12ga 391's and have shot as much as 150-200 rounds in a day when we shoot trap.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am not sure of the newer model 1100's but mine will hardly cycle light loads at all after a few rounds (Until you clean the action).

I'm not sure this applies, but wasn't there a way that you turned the seal around on the gas piston or something like that? It was supposed to "compensate" for lighter loads, but you had to turn it back around to the original configuration before firing heavy loads again to avoid cycling the bolt too hard. It was a "factory-approved" thing, not some shadetree gunsmithing.

I never personally did it, but had heard or read about it somewhere. I never used my old M1100 for anything but heavy 3" loads, back in the days of lead for ducks. (Yes, it's been sitting since then... )

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the M11-87? It is supposed to be able to handle the different loads interchangeably.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore,

That is a new one on me, if you find out anything please post it.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had an 11-87 for about 4 years and have shot literally over 5k rounds through it. Manly heavy duck loads but it always makes at least a few dove shoot every year. I have never had a problem with either load, light or heavy.

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bmpregler,

I am going to guess then that perhaps Rem has addressed the issue and hopefully not only on the 11-87. This is the main reason I now have my Beretta's, the Rem was not very versatile. My 1100 is still used for duck and goose on occasion but that is about it.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug-

I'll look around & see what I can find. I know I saw something to that effect, just can't remember the finer details...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore:

There is no such "turn around" mechanism on the 1100. That is on the Browning Auto 5, for one.

The 1100's "auto" mechanism is controlled by the size of the gas ports in the bottom of the barrels. If someone had one designed for 2 3/4 inch shells (the 3 inchers have smaller gas ports in total area, actually I think it has one larger one and the 2 3/4 has 2 smaller ones or it might be vice versa, I haven't fooled with one for about 20 years and 3 inch 1100s commonly won't eject lighter loads although some will) that consistently refused to eject "normal" light loads, such as skeet loads, he could have a gunsmith or himself carefully and VERY SLIGHTLY enlarge the holes and that would probably cure the problem. OTOH, he would be subjecting the bolt, etc to more stress when he shot heavy loads.

It is possible that a 1100 that doesn't work well with light loads has some carbon or some build up partially blocking the holes. Get a very small drill or a piece of fine wire and run it through the holes. If you've got two 1100s or access to another one, switch barrels and see what happens with light loads using another barrel.

Also, in spite of what Rem says, some 1100s work better with the gas cylinder being very slightly lubricated. I suspect that might solve most of the problems mentioned above.

Back to the original question, it is hard to quantify. In fact, there is no appreciable real recoil reduction with semi-autos, what we have is less FELT recoil, which is really all we are concerned with. That is mostly a result of the recoil being spread out over a longer time frame. Like Dutch, I'd put the felt recoil reduction at 25% less with the 1100 over an 870, maybe a bit more with heavy loads.

I haven't shot the Beretta autos enough to have an opinion about whether they have more or less felt recoil than the 1100s. Benellis seem to have more recoil than Berettas to me based on a very small amount of experience. Without doubt, both of the Italian brands are more reliable than 1100s for someone who is going to shoot them a lot.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moses:

Unless your son is especially recoil sensitive, I would not hesitate to buy him an 870. They are ultra reliable and will last him a lifetime if he so chooses.

15 year olds are normally plenty big enough to handle reasonable loads in a 12 ga. 870. Let him shoot light loads for practice and only use heavier loads when hunting, and then stick to the lighter end of "heavy" if that makes any sense.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put one of the new "Limbsaver" recoil pads on the 870 and start him out with 7/8 ounce loads. Make sure the shotgun is not too long or to short, improper gun fit Magnifies "felt" recoil. A 2-3/4" barrel can be used on a 3" receiver for shooting light loads, but that is even more money.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote