THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Re: Side by side reccomendation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Side by side reccomendation.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentelmen All;

I cut my teeth on a presentation grade Crescent Arms 20 gauge double (hehe!). That was a few years ago, back in the mid 60's. Now, that old plug wasn't sexy or much else than two barrels soldered together with a wooden handle, but damned if I didn't love that old gun and shot many a critter with it.

As the years passed by, many scatterguns came and went....all of the garden variety, including various autos and a pump or two and a couple Browning Citori's. All that remains are are an ancient model 12 cylinder bore that my pap shot quail with, when there were any to hunt, a Browning Lite 12, an 1100 and the 20 Citori. The rest found new homes like stray dogs.

I always appreciated a fine double/SxS, but the cost ran me off before any love affair could begin. Therefore, I have ignored them, like expensive high class whores and have satisfied myself with the domestic winches. Now approaching 50, I think it is time I treated myself to one before I am too old and creaky to climb the hills any longer. I would think a couple grand the upper limit for a nice gun and I won't settle for a club that shoots. When I was a kid, Spanish guns were avoided like a dose of the clap because the guts were soft and they soon shot loose or not all. I am sure the AyA's are beyond that catagory but they are still an unknown to me. I want a sweet little gun that points and carries well, has a few nice embellishments and bored IC and MOD. An English grip is preferred and fine checkering in a wrap around pattern.

So, there are my requirements and desires for a bird gun. For ducks and gooses and four legged varmints, I'll pack my Mag 10.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a gun of the sort that you might find acceptable, a Browning BSS-Sidelock, 20 bore with 28" tubes. I also had an AYA XV sidelock in 20, the Browning is a far superior gun. They are fairly rare, but, are seen in the "Gun List" from time to time. I have owned "name" British guns and handled superb examples belonging to friends; the little Browning is not a Boss, but, it is an incredible gun at it's price.

There is also a boxlock version, straight hand, 28" in 20 bore and these are much less costly; they are also a fine piece and well worth buying. I prefer these guns to any Spanish and most Italian guns I have seen; I have worked in the gun business here and have handled many very costly examples of each, most of them are overpriced, IMO. British guns are outrageous in price, so, the Brownings offer a sound alternative, I think.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jump: Just bought a Beretta 390 20 ga. semiauto at Wal Mart for the clearance price of $400. Can't go wrong with this model. By the way, when you point at something do you use one finger or two?