THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    marlin 20 gauge M-55 "goose gun" rifled slug barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

marlin 20 gauge M-55 "goose gun" rifled slug barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Marlin 55 bolt action ("mini-goose gun") 20 gauge sitting in the back of my closet. Nice little gun with a pretty walnut stock.

I was wondering about shooting slugs through it. Part of the reason is just to see how it would do. It is smoothbore, and I realize that I can shoot foster-type slugs through it. I was wondering if there is a barrel maker out in the USA that makes barrel blanks for 20 gauge rifled slug barrels. I'd be interested in rebarreling my Marlin smoothbore 20 gauge with a fixed rifled slug barrel-and take it for a "test drive."

With the advancements of shotgun slug technology, and rifled slug barrels, I don't think you have to only consider the 12 gauge. The 20 gauge (0.62 caliber) has become pretty potent for deer/hog hunting.

I'd like to explore its potential.

Does anyone know of if such a barrel maker exists? Can you forward contact info if it does?

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Another option may be to just get it modified for screw-in chokes.

Then simply buy a rifled choke that fits.

I know there are rifled choke tubes available for a 12ga. Don't know about the 20's though.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
call hastings or briley either one might be able to help

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check with Tar-Hunt, they might sell bbls.

http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/index.cfm?id=1&cfid=15907370&cftoken=89113265

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote