THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    My SX2 Winchester jams too much ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My SX2 Winchester jams too much ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yo !

My semi automatic SX2 Winchester seems to jam quite often. I love the darn thing .. it fits me really well .. but way too many birds have gotten a reprieve over the last few years .. Is there some kind of tuning up a gunsmith can do to such a thing ??? (After the last cleaning it lasted only a hundred or so rounds before it would jam again .. ??? ) I was hoping for more ... I have a Benelli SBE that I can use ... but I hate to throw this shotgun in the river .. Frowner Confused

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll give you $200.00 for it unseen and I'll pay the shipping too! I loved my SX2 and I let it go. Heck, I might even go 400.

Sasquatch

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would never take advantage of a Texican. Smiler

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear more about the problem. I am very familiar with Browning and Winchester shotguns and may be able to help.

Are you using any lube in the action?

Are you using any lube on the magazing tube?

What exactly are the gun malfunctions? Feeding? Low power? ....

PM me......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would never take advantage of a Texican.

I'll give you permission just this once!

Seriously though, how light a load are you shooting? Mine did not do well with light loads. Also what temperature are you shooting in and what kind of lubrication are you using?

$475???

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had it jam with steel goose loads. I am going to clean it up and use lube as rcamuglia suggested and take it out for ducks in less than a month .. BOOM If it still jams ... and those spoonbills escape unscathed .... Mad I'll probably trade it for two $250 housecats ... and I loathe cats ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go out to the range and do some testing with it after you clean it before you go hunting. Nothing ruins a hunt faster than a malfunctioning gun......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good advice .. but ... How does the saying go, amigo, ' You're preaching to the choir .' ???? Smiler As recently as last month I went after a wounded Russian wild boar in South America with a really impressive rifle .. (I am sure that particular rifle with scope must be worth $4,000 U.S.) .. and it had worked perfectly when the first shot was taken at the running hog. Later there were three misfires in a row ... Confused Eeker Luckily at a deer and not an enraged charging pig that hated Canadians ... (rightly so ... ) I will report on the gun later this week ... Cheers !!! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Rcamuglia ... Got the sucker sparkling now ... great advice. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope it runs well!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scruffy,
I have one of the old SX1s that I used for skeet shooting for more than 25 years. I have always kept it clean. The only jams I ever had were with 2 rounds of super light 1oz loads. I had to increase the wimpy skeet load a half grain and it never jammed again. Clean is good.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scruffy,
I'd be interested in hearing the solution. I have a SX-2, it runs good now, but you never know when one will start acting up.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rcamuglia was nice enough to send me instructions on how to clean the shotgun properly. i.e. use Gumout carbureator cleaner to spray out action and slide grooves .. scrub off carbon with Scotch brite scrub pad ... and apply a wee bit of 10W30 oil to slide grooves and some Rem oil to the magazine tube. He was much more thorough in his description .. but it is late tonight and I am a weary guy with a clean shotgun .. so I suspect it is time to toddle off to bed .. with one less problem in life ... Smiler wave

One of Us
Picture of wildfowl
posted Hide Post
Have you cleaned the recoil spring in the stock? Lots of people fail to clean that spring/piston and it gets full of grit and grime which will slow the action and make it jam.

To do this, take off the recoil pad and you will see a nut that needs to be taken off the spring tube allowing the stock to come off. Once the stock is off, you can remove a small pin in the tube while putting pressure on the spring with a screw-driver, etc. BE CAREFUL because once the pin is removed, the spring will be free and can come out at a decent rate of speed! Pull out the spring & plunger, clean it REAL good and only put the lightest coat of oil on it. Be mindful when you put it back together that the back of the bolt seats in the right position with the plunger otherwise the bolt will freeze.

This sounds complicated, but is not really. Wink

Posts: 88 | Location: STL | Registered: 28 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have quite a bit of experience with the Super X2 and own 3 of various types (standard, practical and a special "light model"). My working gun I use for pheasant, dove and turkey hunting is an earlier model that did not have the gas cylinder for light shells. The two later units both came with 2 cylinders. My first barrel on this gun had to be replaced as the vent rib flew off. Browning did not repair it. They simply stuck a new barrel on that was did not have the vent screwed on, but brazed on. Other than that I have had no malfunctions with these shotguns. My guns seem to digest all levels of shells without a problem. May I suggest you ship the gun to Browning on Tenbrook Rd in Arnold Missouri where they do all factory repairs. I suggest this as they are excellent at diagnosing problems since they work only on their products which includes Winchesters. Remember, the Super X2 and Super X3 both come out of the FN plant in Belgium. When you look at the new FN tactical shotguns you will see they are virtually identical to the Super X2 and Super X3. This is something to really consider before "writing off" this shotgun. FN builds high quality firearms and many end up with our troops in combat zones.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote