Find
Notify
Tools

Mossburg Mavericks?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I am trying to "break in to" some shotgun hunting and I am looking at several used guns. One is a Mossburg Maverick. Has anyone used one of these? I am on a starvation budget right now and was thinking that maybe I could get by for a year or two with one of these. I plan on hunting Turkey , Quail and possibly Ducks. The paticular gun I am consdering is a 12 guage chambered for 3" shells, pump action with interchangable chokes. The gun shows a little wear but is in reasonably good shape. The asking price is $159 I think I can get him down a little. What do you think about it all?

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
the maverick had only one action bar. the m500 has two. For $159, if your not in a hurry, i think you can buy a m500 and maybe a combo,shot barrel and slug barrel for your money.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
They are known for breaking the single action bar. Go to a pawn shop, find a used 870 express, will run about same money.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
In the early '90's the mavericks were selling new for around $175.00,,,If I remember correctly.Duane is right,shop around and look for a 870,or a win.1300,,,You'll be happier in the long run.Good luck.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my M500 that my dad gave me, but I shot my buddies mav about 2 cases in 3 days just out blasting soda cans and stuff to play and we broke the action bar. I would suggest getting M-500

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Maverick 88 that I bought specifically for use as a beater gun. They must have upgraded because it has a double action bar setup. It has worked great so far. Short stroking has caused it to jam on occassion.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote