Find
Notify
Tools

28 gauge hunting loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
recently picked up a remington 1100 28 gauge. would like to know what loads you guys use for hunting pheasants, upland birds, etc. thanks

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
I have had good success with Federal High Brass Wing Shok ammunition available in 6 shot 3/4 ounce load in the early season.

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used anything other than 3/4 oz loads at standard skeet velocities (~1200fps) in my 28's. Most people agree that the 7/8 and 1 oz loads aren't any more effective in this small bore.

Haven't used a 28 on pheasants, but on dove and quail a 28 does everything a larger gauge will do, and due to the superior handling characteristics of most 28 guns, do it even better. I like 3/4 oz of #8 or #9 for these little upland birds, usually stoked by about 13 grains of Unique with the appropriate wad and hull. Can't see why the same load with #6 or #7 wouldn't do fine on close-flushing roosters.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had great success with 3/4 oz #8 for quail and 71/2 shot for released pheasants. What a great gauge. You will stop carrying your 12 ga. I use skeet choke for quail and modified for the bigger birds.
Drops pheasants in their "tracks" and does not blow up the quail.
Use good quality target ammo. John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
byf42,

Here in AZ I use the 3/4 oz loads (71/2,8, & 9's) for quail. But for real ND wild pheasant I use the Winchester 1 oz #6's.

You are goona love the 28....wait till you get a SxS Smiler

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really have had good luck with the Win. 1 oz. of 5's or 6's in the 28 ga. on wild pheasants. I had no problem killing December pheasants in South Dakota.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote