New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: which shotgun to keep?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Definately keep the Winchester 50. It's a classic, steel-receivered American-made, honest-to-walnut shotgun. The 1400 is an aluminum/Japanese el-cheapo made to sell in discount houses.

Most people would tell you to keep the 1100 over the 58, but 1100's are exceedingly common, and the older, "warmer" model 58 just has more nostalgic appeal.

But in the end, you should keep whatever you shoot the best (just so long as it's not the 1400).

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK,
I hear what y'all are saying on the model 50-I figured to keep that one anyway but did not know much about the 1400's-I did like the fact the 1400 was lighter, but I have done a lot of work on the 50 to get it "right".

On the 58 vs the 1100-I also hear what y'all are saying on the comonality of the 1100 vs the not so common 58 as far a parts go, but I am still having a hard time with this one so let me give more details...

My 1100 is a gun bought for me by my dad about a year or so before he passed-it is a well used gun with a little bluing wear on the reciever. I had to take it to a gunsmith last year to give it a thorough cleaning-gunsmith said it was probably it's first cleaning..ever. I took it in because the action was so "gummed up" that it would not feed in shells 2 and 3, so essentially it was a single shot. It now works fine. I have also bought a modified barrel so now I can hunt dove/quail with the mod barrel and ducks/turkey with the full choke barrel.

The 58 is a gun my dad also bought with in a year or so of passing on. He bought it to go dove hunting with me-it is a little lighter and has a vent rib skeet barrel, which I figure would do just fine for dove. I could also look for a modified barrel, but I don't figure they are too comon. This gun is in better shape as far as the metal/blue but the wood has some of the glossy finish coming off, but nothing real bad. it is hardly noticable really until you run your hand over it.

Of the two the 58 is in the best shape really. I also have an old savage 311 20 gauge that has a modified and a full choke barrel that I can use to chase ducks, quail, pheasants and take long shots on dove with and use the model 50 12 gauge with a full choke to hunt turkey and a mod choke to hunt everything else just about (I had a thin wall choke system installed) so versatility is really not a problem with what I have right now. So maybe keeping the 58 would be the thing to do and use the skeet barrel for hunting dove, maybe quail??

I guess it boils down to quality--which one is in the best shape and built the best?? I am kinda leaning towards holding the 58 and selling the 1100 with the 2 barrels...

thank y'all for letting me talk this out and any other comments are welcome...

Dave