New
Find
Notify
Tools

suggest a 20 ga. sxs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a older, used, light, beat around the grouse woods 20 ga side by side. What model(s) might I look for? ($4-$600 bucks)
thanks

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest an A H Fox Sterlingwoth, until you added the price. I searched long and hard. I had a few reasonably priced Spanish made ones that fit the bill, but I had a run of bad luck with them (mechanical), so gave up, sold a bunch of rifles and, nearly, my first borne and bought a Sterlingworth. I just couldn't find any other five pounder. They must be out there, somewhere. Good Luck
Bfly
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At that price good luck. Think you are more into the really used Rem 1100, 870, or Mossberg territory. Double it and you might find a Citori or older Beretta.
Watch Craig's list (do they have guns?), the local papers, etc. You could get lucky, but you might miss a lot of seasons waiting.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be just a little bit more than the price range you mentioned, but the CZ Bobwhite (double trigger) or Ringneck (SST) can be had new for reasonable money. They are serviceable guns that are made on a frame size that is properly dedicated to each gauge. I shoot a Ringneck in 28 gauge and have been very happy with it. It's not a Boss, a Purdy, or even a Beretta, but it's a well-balanced and fairly attractive gun for the modest price. Made in Turkey by Huglu.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about an older Savage?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
It will be just a little bit more than the price range you mentioned, but the CZ Bobwhite (double trigger) or Ringneck (SST) can be had new for reasonable money. They are serviceable guns that are made on a frame size that is properly dedicated to each gauge. I shoot a Ringneck in 28 gauge and have been very happy with it. It's not a Boss, a Purdy, or even a Beretta, but it's a well-balanced and fairly attractive gun for the modest price. Made in Turkey by Huglu.

Bingo. Take a look at CDNN for one of these.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
You are going to have to be pretty patient and spend some time shopping the net to find a decent 20ga SxS that matches your specs, but it can be done.

I'd keep a lookout for Dickson Falcon (ugartechea). They normally sell for just north of your budget, but if you are patient you'll find one.

Another one to keep an eye out for is the older Antonio Zoli Silver hawk. (Not the cheaper Angelo Zoli) These are very well made guns and perfect for upland carry. I picked up one a few weeks ago for $495 on gunbroker.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used Ugartechea, probably closer to $600, but classy and points like a $2500 shotgun and they are light.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted a light 20 ga SXS for birds and woods roaming also. It took a while but a Bernadelli was there in a shop for about $800. My smith said: "A Bernadelli for $800, buy it."

So I did. Its fine but later I found a nice Ugartechea for only $400 with shorter barrels that I like even better.

These days I keep looking for 20's and they are not easy to find. I have 'enough' of them now, just checking prices etc.

The as new Ugartechea is on the right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still recommend either the Browning BSS, or the CSMC RBL, both are excellent and the RBL can be found with double triggers...Both are great values!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
I still recommend either the Browning BSS, or the CSMC RBL, both are excellent and the RBL can be found with double triggers...Both are great values!

JW

He wants to spend <$600...

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
homer

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Not much aside from Baikals and fairly knackered obscure regional boxlocks available for that sort of money over here.

Over there I would have thought the choice would almost automatically be Baikal for that sort of money?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
You might stumble upon an SKB for that money, or an old Ithaca Flues, but check to be sure it is chambered for 2 3/4-inch shells.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16376 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a CZ Bobwhite (double triggers) in 20ga for about 6 years. Nice gun, handles well, decent fit and finish. No complaints at all. I would buy it again.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote