New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzleloading Shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody got tips on good books and sources of information on Blackpowder shotgunning. I am going to deal on a shotgun tomorrow. The price is too right. Nearly 300 less than Cabelas.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nevermind, I didn't move fast enough and another got it out from under me. It was a really clean double barrel Navy Arms 12ga priced at 275. I hesitated and fumbled.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MThuntr:
Nevermind, I didn't move fast enough and another got it out from under me. It was a really clean double barrel Navy Arms 12ga priced at 275. I hesitated and fumbled.

Too bad, that is a great ML shotgun. I have one I shoot a lot. Mine is one of the "magnum" models by Pietta. They claim you can use all 10 ga & light 8 ga loads in the 12. ML shotgunning is great sport, so don't give up the hunt, even if you can't find one dirt cheap, you won't be sorry.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current ML SxS is a 12 gauge Lewis&Tomes british made. A lot of the old british guns are closer to 11 gauge than 12, this one mikes .772" and .777" on the bores. Very well made shotgun, checkered nicely figured walnut, platinum vents, nice small trap in the butt for percussion caps. One piece stock, 27 1/2" barrels, gold band on both barrels at the breech and a small gold shield for initials, fluid steel, not damascus. I picked it up at a local gunnshop for $300, and have been shooting it for about a year now.
These old guns just have a character to them and a patina that comes from maybe a hundred and forty years of field use. I would look for one of the oldtimers. I think I have one bought that is an 8gauge...trying to find out if a ML bigger than 10gauge is legal for waterfowl.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote