Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

870 recoil?
 Login/Join

posted
hey all, i have been asking some question's about remington shotguns, as u all have probably seen. i have narrowed down my choice to the 870 Wingmaster Super Magnum.
i was wondering how rough the recoil is with a 3 inch magnum deer slug in it is? i am sure we all have shot a single shot 12 guage before, is it anything like shooting a deer slug in one of those? less, more?
i am asking coz i don't wanny buy a new shotgun, and have it kick like that, coz i would not like that at all.

"Keep your stick on the ice"

Posts: 21 | Location: O'Fallon Illinois | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about rifled slugs, but I have a lot of experience shooting 3 1/2" turkey loads out of an 870. It kicks like a S.O.B. - especially from the bench.

But, there is no free lunch and any similar sized gun shooting the same load will have similar recoil. I would suggest that you shoot one before you buy one. One thing that I did this spring was to add a new recoil pad. It made a BIG difference in felt recoil. It was a Remington R3 pad - which I think are made by Limbsaver. Sims Vibration Labs also makes a similar recoil pad. I highly recommend these recoil pads as they are soft (unlike the factory pad) and probably reduce felt recoil by 25%.

cwilson

Posts: 713 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Recoil is determined by gun weight, and projecticle mass and velocity. Increase the mass or velocity of the projectile, and you increase recoil.

A premium recoil pad (kickeeze, Decelerator, Limbsaver) will help tame the beast, but it will never be fun to shoot a box or two. JMO, Dutch.

[ 07-01-2003, 17:32: Message edited by: Dutch ]

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course it depends on the slug wt and velocity, but I don't think it is a major problem shooting at game. After all, how many are you going to shoot? Not like duck or goose hunting. However, sighting in is a pain in the shoulder. Easiest fix is to put a bag of lead shot between the gun butt and your shoulder. The various recoil pads mentioned all help too.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your gonna be useing Remington Sluggers 3" The recoil is pretty stiff. But I shoot about 5 boxes at a time out of my 870 Express Its not to bad to handle but I suggest a decelorator pad if your recoil sensitive. And dont sit down to shoot them! But when your shooting at game you wont notice the kick. Have Fun!

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
Unless your lady wears nothing but a spike studded leather g-string and has handcuffs in one hand and a whip in the other, I'd strongly suggest you pass on the 870. Had one for one season. Within a few weeks I installed a super recoil pad and a mercury recoil reducer. No big difference. Honestly, I'd rather touch off 20 rounds from my .458 Lott than 5 heavy loads in the 870.

After one season I sold it to the first offer, bought a gas operated auto and have been a happy camper ever since.

If money is a big factor, look for a good used gas auto. There's always a deal to be had.

Steve

<Made in Sweden>
posted
The 870 isn�t all that bad for your shoulder....I can honestly say that the only load that really hurts is the magnum turkeyloads, and they kick like something in between a really fast 300Magnum and a 375H&H. I can�t say slugs are a problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never fired the 870, but I have a hard time thinking it could be that far from my M-500 with 12 in loads, it kicks like a SOB, I would rather touch off MAX loads with my 358 Norma or 375 ICL than fire slugs at a range, but during duck season with 3in loadings I cant realy say that I remember it kicking that much, except one shot when I didnt have it all the way back to my sholder when I touched it off. THAT was a shot I will never forget, got the duck too

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 870 with 1 oz. 3" Remington Sluggers kicks harder than my Winchester 375 H&H with 300 grain bullets at 2600 f.p.s. The rifle pushes me back more, as I could tell by having to put my forward foot back on the ground in between shots, but sitting down the rifle and firing a slug in the shotgun, the shotgun definitely hurts more. Just to be sure, I sat the shotgun down and shot the rifle. Yep, the rifle hurts less than the shotgun.

The hardest thing about shooting slugs in my 870 is the awful trigger. Very creepy and gritty. Several people on these forums have told me that the Model 870 trigger is not trigger-jobbable, and nothing can be done to slick it up. I've had it all apart and remove all factory burrs, but I haven't stone any engagement surfaces, having been warned not to. It still feels the same.

If you are going to shoot a lot of slugs, you might want to look into package deals. It is much cheaper to buy an 870 combo with a rifled slug barrel and a 28" or 30" smooth barrel than to buy one complete gun and go back and get an extra barrel.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Here's a link to actual recoil enegeries. To put these numbers in perspective, a 30-06 with 180 gr produces about 20 ft/lbs of recoil in a standard weight rifle.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

Those who compared heavy duty 12 gauge loads to some of the elephant gun big bores appear to be right on the mark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's no free lunch when it comes to recoil, but there is a lunch available at a reduced price: Practically any gas-operated automatic shotgun will reduce felt recoil substantially due to the spread of recoil over a greater length of time. If recoil is a problem, going from a fixed-breech gun to a gas auto will help.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crow,

I shoot an 870 Magnum SP. It has a cantilever scope mount on a rifled barrel. With this rig I get 2inch groups at 100 shooting barnes expanders or copper solids. I would recommend shooting 2 3/4 inch slugs instead of 3 inch.There is not much gained by shooting 3 in. over 2 3/4 in. slugs, except felt recoil.I would feel confident shooting my expanders at deer size game out to 125 yards or so. Just make sure you get a rifled barrel so you can shoot the sabot type slugs, instead of the foster projectiles.

Good luck with your search!!!
Ford

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote