Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Side lock VS box lock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Chasseur:

I should have added that I cheated a little bit in my question to you. I think a sidelock looks "nicer" - and that has always been a major consideration with me in carrying a shotgun. ( I had an old (even when I was carrying it)Winchester Mod.97 12 ga. At perhaps 15-16 I was shooting ruffed grouse at a rate of maybe 2 out of 3 times with that shotgun. I disposed of it because I was ashamed to carry a straight grip hammer pump.(Yes, I never again came close to such a good scorecard with grouse!) I didn't like its looks. Now, do you understand why I liked a sidelock over a boxlock?

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience side locks tend to keep their stocks longer than box locks. Look at almost any old well-used box lock and you usually can find a crack in the stock behind the upper or lower tang. Properly made side locks don't seem to do this. Maintenance on a side lock is much easier than a box lock. IMHO side locks just look a lot better, particularly with some nice engraving. I have played with some old Spanish side locks; they look fantastic but their metallurgy, machining, etc. really sucked. The new ones are supposed to be better.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A never ending debate...

Boxlock fans say its stronger because "less wood is removed" than with a side lock, which I find interesting because just as CGB stated you frequently see boxlocks with splits behind the action in the stock but you rarely see sidelocks like that...

Of course it is hard to say since there are more boxlocks running arround, and they tend to be used harder than sidelocks.

The one observation that I am pretty sure of (got it from several good gunsmiths) is that some boxlock designs will split the wood more regularly over time. This holds true for cheap guns (look at almost any Stevens 311 thats been shot a lot), and some nicer ones (many LC Smiths). While others do not (heard Parkers are pretty good for not doing this).

Really I think it comes down to personal preference. Though those side locks are going to cost you more generally.

Just my 2 cents

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WEll ,I will never be able to afford a new Purdey (not for a while anyway) I have been looking at the Merkel 60E sidelocks as a present for myself. I always wanted to own a sidelock ,so the Merkel will be in my budget. Its just one of those things Ive always wanted. Has anyone got any opinions on the Merkel 60Es side locks?

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not have that particular model of Merkel, but, I do have a Merkel, in my case a drilling. I have also owned a number of double guns, including an AYA XXV-SL, a Browning Superposed, a Browning Citori Mod. 7500-combo gun, a Browning BSS-sidelock, a William Powell &Son boxlock and various cheaper ones.

The over-all quality of fit and finish of Merkels produced after about the early '60s does not impress me; I would not buy a new one, only a used one at a very good price. The older Merkels were works of art, but, the new ones do not compare, IMO.

You might want to search out a BSS-SL, the 20s like mine are pretty rare, but, 12s are not too difficult to find.You should expect to pay about 3200.00-4000.00 for a 12 and this is about the best value in a good sidelock I know of, at present.

Actually, I would prefer a Westley Droplock from the 1930s to ANYTHING else, this includes Purdey, a round action Boss would be next with the new Kreighoff "Essencia" coming third. No bloody wonder we gunnuts never have any money!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote