Find
Notify
Tools

Best pump shotgun....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I plan on getting a "home defense" style shotgun in the near future. I have always liked the Remington 870 for a pump-action shotgun.....but after noticing an EXTREME decrease in quality of these guns in recent years, I am looking for a new prospect.

What do you guys recommend for the best overall finish and reliability? Please keep in mind I am looking for a pump-action "home defense" type shotgun.

(P.S. - I REALLY like the looks of that nifty new Kel-Tec KSG....but I suspect it will be some time before they are available to the general public.)

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An older used 870?????

There are millions of them out there.

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I second the older 870 idea. My brother bought our dad an old police 870 that was slick as butter but has rough wood. a little sanding and tru-oil and the thing is awesome. I also have an older 870 I got from my brother (1970's) and the thing is slicker than owl shit, and trust me, I KNOW my owl shit.

I'd look for just about ANY old 870, throw a short barrel on it, stoke it with low velocity buckshot, velcro it to the back of my headboard and sleep soundly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade,
Get a used 870 WINGMASTER NOT and express.

Found these the other day...still up as of the time of this posting.

http://www.durysguns.com/inven...used_gun_inv_124072/

http://www.durysguns.com/inven...used_gun_inv_124071/

I'd get the 18" barrel, you could add a rifle sighted barrel later.

add a 4 round side saddle and you are good to go!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ditto the above recommendations, find an older 870 Wingmaster. I got this one from a pawn shop ($120), cut the barrel to 21", added the light & mounting bracket for indoor/night use ($3 flashlight, $8 bracket). Holds one in the spout, 4 in the mag, functions flawlessly, including the light arrangement:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old Win model 12.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Found a used Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel and an full length magazine, $245.00. I choose the 500 for it's tang safety as shoot many SXS shotguns and the safety would not be a problem in a time of need.
Best of luck in your search.

Posts: 1614 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I like the Ithaca 37.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
For purely home defense, I have the Mossberg 500, all black, 8 shot, with a fiber optic front bead(installed by me after purchase). It definitely fits the bill, and quite nicely, all at the price of around $250. It's my understanding that many many police departments and governmental agencies use it as well. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer, I have quite a bit of experience with shotguns shooting buck and slugs. The gun that I keep next to the bed is a Remmington 870 Express Magnum with a three inch chamber. Make sure it has the steel trigger assembly (not plastic)

I swapped the factory barrel for a 18.5" Vang Comp. It patterns 00 buck in fist sized groups at 50 feet, Im not talking fancy flight contol wads, im shooting walmart cheapo stuff for practice.

It prints 3" 100 yard groups with 2 3/4" Remminton sluggers. I have a Aimpoint T-1 micro mounted on top. I am now a die hard Vang Comp fan, I have a shotgun that does it all, home defense, plus a hog, deer and varmint slayer all in one shotgun. Alot of time a HD gun is one dimensional and not good for much else, not in my case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the remington 870 police and or miltary shotguns well do just fine.
They are put togater on a seperate line with a bit better parts and control

Posts: 19374 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
870 Nothing beats it for performance and versatility in terms of "customizing"!

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
870 Nothing beats it for performance and versatility in terms of "customizing"!

Well perhaps at one time....but the newest model 870's that I have handled are absolute pieces of shit.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
winchester 97 trench gun, mine holds 6 in the tube and you can 'slam fire' it. If you want you can even add a bayonet. clap

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Ithaca 37 or Rem 870......

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well perhaps at one time....but the newest model 870's that I have handled are absolute pieces of shit.

Correct Wade, that is until we get ahold of them and trick them out!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
winchester 97 trench gun, mine holds 6 in the tube and you can 'slam fire' it. If you want you can even add a bayonet.

My favorite gun of all time, but it still lacks the versatility of the 870 in terms of MODERN combat adaptability and ease of modification and repair!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
True, but I use mine shooting Wild Buch so, I get lots of practice with it and I have spare parts on hand if I need them. I does have 'intimidation factor' too.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Intimidation = bluff = maybe = unsure = you die!

If my scattergun gets whooped-out it IS going to be fired!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Benelli Nova pump is available in an 18" barrel with sights for a bit over $300.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everything considered an 870 is hard to beat.

I have shot them a fair amount, many different ones, some that had "been around" quite a bit, never any problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Winchester 97, here in England, until Mrs Thatcher banned such things.

It had a 20" barrel but was not a "Trench Gun" but a gun that had been used in Ireland by the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

What I liked about it was not only the well known "slamfire" capability but also this. That it could be carried "hammer down" on a loaded chamber.

Others who I have known who used these things in other than a pure sporting role favoured the Ithaca 37 or the French Manufrance.

The Remington 870 has much to its advantage but I am told it has a potential "double feed" issue?

Such that some had an ill advised slot cut in the feed platform to re-seat a round into the tube magazine using an car ignition key?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
enfieldspares the so called double feed on the 870 normally came from the person loading not fully seating a round into the mag tube allowing it to come back on shell lifter.

Could also be cause by a worn shell stop allowing the round in the mag tube to slip back on to the shell lifter.

Remington took care of this problem with a dezign change one was the tab cut into the shell lifter other parts also has to be changed just cuting the tab will cause more trouble and will not fix it.

Remington does make what they call a Flextab conversion kit for the older shotguns.

Having use 870s for over 40 years this is a great fix.

Posts: 19374 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A new Remington 870 Tactical. I have a brand new one, and it is GREAT. Someone who says they are shit compared to what? The older guns? Mine is flat black, action is slick, and can carry 7 shots. It has a peep site, extended magazine, Tact Comp, and shoots and fits great. All for $445.00.

There is a MILLION after market products available for the 870. They are STILL hard to beat.

Want a comparible other one, try a Mossberg 590 A1... Either way the best bang for the buck.

PAH

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm with PAhunter. The 870 is the most accessorized tactical shotgun platform in the world, and I prefer the steel receiver to the alloy Mossberg. The 870 just doesn't beat me up like a Mossberg does.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16378 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find an older 870 orignally manufactured with a 2 3/4 chamber and the shorter stroke.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a Mossberg 500 w/ pistol grip stock, holds 6 w/ one in the spout. Paid $83.00 for it 1980 at a pawn shop. Sports a 18 1/2" barrel. Also have a 20" mod and a 30" full vent rib. Total cost about $300.00. Accurate as hell w/ slugs out to 45 yds in the 18 1/2 ". Great gun!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Wade, what did you get?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
OK Wade, what did you get?

Haven't bought anything yet....but I am leaning towards a Benelli Supernova Tactical.