Find
Notify
Tools

Best SXS for 2k-3k or so
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
If you had a budget of $2,500 (+/-) and wanted a good SXS (20 ga.) What would be your suggestion?

Is it worth the $ it to bump the budget up a bit and get something a bit more expensive?

Thanks.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
If you had a budget of $2,500 (+/-) and wanted a good SXS (20 ga.) What would be your suggestion? Is it worth the $ it to bump the budget up a bit and get something a bit more expensive? Thanks.

Wendell. You should have looked about at Reno. A friend bought an older Belgian SxS 20 gauge for around $3,500.00. It was a wonderful, well cared for piece, and the quality that went into it was great. Get in touch with William Larkin Moore in Scottsdale, and ask for David. I bought my last from him and found them fair and knowledgeable. And if I bought another it would be from them.

To some a shotgun is a workhorse, a Clydsdale. For me my SxS has to be a thing of beauty as well. Many are and are very reaasonabl priced. One not out yet that has promise is the Ruger.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me my SxS has to be a thing of beauty as well. Many are and are very reaasonabl priced.

That is what I am looking for. A good quality gun, that is also pleasing to look at.

I have some kind of Spanish import SxS that works, I can shoot it well, but it is ugly as a mans butt. I try not to look directly at it for fear of permanent eye damage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're wanting an upland game shotgun, it would be hard to beat a Spanish AYA 4/53 or an Ugartechea. I do most of my hunting with a Ugartechea 28 ga. that weighs 5 pounds on the nose with 27 in. barrels. Those and the AYA are fairly easy on the eyes too.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a way to stretch and get an AYA #2 or start looking for a nice used one. I see clean used ones for about $3500. They are worth it.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly my thoughts...you may have a Spanish gun already but what you really should have is an AYA 4/53 from Cabelas or better yet a #2 if you can stretch the budget a bit. They are beautiful, balanced and of extreme quality. They have really changed the marketplace and sell a tremendous amount of guns in England. That will make you think.

Wendell, go by the Cabelas and at least take a look at the AYAs before you make a decision. Let us know what you decide?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
One of my biggest regrets is that I bought a Blaser S-2 instead of a pair of Arrieta round actions while in Spain.

The price for them was an unbeleivable $5000.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The higher end Spanish guns (Arrieta, AyA) are really worth a hard look. The value is quite high...and yes, Seth, you made a mistake on that one!

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I dont' regret selling the Blaser, but I couldn't get them to build what I wanted.

A pair of 16 gauge round action side locks sparsley engraved with single triggers.

"Senore it's imposseeeblaaay to do uno treeegers, you no want that"

Of course it is not impossible to order a single trigger round action, but everyone under the sun will fight you when you do. Including the folks here in the US.

The Italians don't seem to be as hung up on double triggers as the Spanish.

They thought I was crazy and wouldn't order them that way. So I took my money to another dealer and bought a S-2.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My two favorites are my AYA in 28 gauge and my Garbi in 20. And I do prefer the double triggers; a bit less to go wrong, less chance of a double firing, and a pleasure to look at.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, which AyA model?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, check Dawson's Doubles down at Spring Texas. He has a pretty good list of his guns on the internet. He usually has several Winchester Model 23's in that price range. Might also do a search on Guns America. I plan on buzzing down to have a look see at his stock. Probably come back home with a 20 or 28ga Mod. 23

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take a look at a new RBL. They are making or going to make a 28.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Bill, which AyA model?

Model 2

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. How about a photo to show Wendell what we're talking about?

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Wendel,

If you want a SxS that is a thing of beauty then don't mess abuot with al that continental stuff. Buy yourself an english gun and be done with it, knowing that you have thebest possible value in your gun cabinet. This has a high estimate of less than $2k, and you can spend the change on some cosmetics and the shipping. Let me know if you are properly in the market and I'll let you now if anything worthwhile comes up. You wil pay more for a 20b though FYI.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the chamber length on that gun?

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Yukon,

It's a 3" William Evans wildfowling gun. Liek most things in the Auctions it will require some detective work to make sure all is in order in case it needs a load of work doing to it. The photo's always look a load better than the real thing. It's a little heavy but if I was shooting a lot of tall big bag days the extra weight would probably help with the constant recoil.

If there is something you are interested in it is far cheaper in the long run to get a report done on it and a rough estimate of costs for work as we see loads of guys just buy stuff blind and pay way over the odds for a gun they later put back into a sale and lose money on because it wasn't what they expected.

Rgds,
FB

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I think as a first time SxS for an American, this might be very suitable, if it is sound:

This is a 12 bore with 2.5" chambers and will weigh and handle like a modern 20bore, in fact it might even be better. English boxlocks are the best value for money there is out there. If this is looked after it will only ever go up in value.

In fact, this is so nice I quite fancy it for myself.

Full details here:

http://213.219.62.57/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=1016...o=+++14663&saletype=

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, there is a gorgeous little sidelock spanish gun on shotgunworld for only $1300. The barrels are a bit short at 25" though but it is very nice.

Here is a link.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Wendel,

If you want a SxS that is a thing of beauty then don't mess abuot with al that continental stuff. Buy yourself an english gun and be done with it, knowing that you have thebest possible value in your gun cabinet. This has a high estimate of less than $2k, and you can spend the change on some cosmetics and the shipping. Let me know if you are properly in the market and I'll let you now if anything worthwhile comes up. You wil pay more for a 20b though FYI.
Rgds,
FB

You know, that makes a lot of sense. I had not considered that.

What does it take to import a shotgun into the USA?

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi Wendel,

I just got back from the states so sorry for the delay.

Either Dig Or Rick would be able to send the gun directly to your local firearms dealer.

In fact Dig sent over dozens of guns for an auction last year and they do it regularly.

The only thing I would say is that if you have an interest then it really is vital that you get an advance report on anygunin an auction. there are a lot of guns that to the untrained eye are not quite what they look like so I always get Dig to look at a gun before I bid because I've seen people buy blind and pay way too much for soehting that wasn't up to scratch.

I'm looking at a double rifle in this sale and a couple of 410's so if there is anything you want me to look at for you then I'll get him to cast an eye over it for you. He writes in the DG journal so his credentials are pretty good Wink

Rgds,
FB

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks FB,

This is interesting as I had never considered this as an option.

What range would I be looking at for a decent looking mechanically sound SxS, 20ga preferably?

How often are the sales? Is this an online auction or a "real" auction you are talking about?

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Wendell. Go to this web site.....

http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/inventory.asp?cat=&ma...GA&country=&keyword=

Call David in Scottsdale and tell him what you are looking for and your price range. Use my name if you like. I have dealt with them over the years, they are reliable, no b.s., and have several now on their list in your price range. thumb

Importing is a real pain in the ass, and if the shotgun comes in and is not quite as represented, you are truly up the proverbial w/o a paddle. thumbdown

BB

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Hi Wendell

I just went through this whole process myself. Starting from scratch, and with little prior knowledge or use of shotguns, I looked at quite a few. I was influenced by the gunsmith at my local shop (Laslo at Duncans Gun Works in San Marcos) who kept telling me "buy a Beretta" al lthe rest of this stuff won't hold up and the Beretta won't give you any probelms.

Another hurdle was how much to spend. Like anything else, the more you spend, the nicer you get. I looked in the same price range as you, and then handled some in the 4-5K range. I too liked the Gambi very much, and the higher end AyA were great. I also liked the Merkel.

As stated, I am no expert, but the advice I got was that the english shotguns are the best for craftsmanship and balance BUT somewhat problematic because each one needs to be checked for condition (precisely Fallow Buck's point).

In the end I punted and bought a Beretta s/s for $1800 and decided I would shoot it a lot and then decide on a nicer gun once I knew what I liked and had a lot of shooting under my belt.

My situation is a bit different than yours, in that I have not shot a lot hence don't have strong preferences yet, but I did notice a lot of shotguns I liked, especially some nice english guns that were fantastic, just plain didn't fit me (LOP too short), so I had to pass.

Regarding importing- it is not terribly difficult to do, I have brought in 8-9 rifles, but in the end, I would have been better off being patient and finding them here in the US, paying a bit more for them and avoiding the hassle.

PM me if you want the low down on how to import.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to everyone who replied.

Unlike a lot of guys on AR, I am not a gun nut. I like a pretty gun, like everyone, but I like a gun that fits and works more. I use my guns and it shows.

I bought a Beretta Silver Hawk from a guy here on AR ( I think I remember who, but not 100%sure). It was accurately represented as fair condition, and the price was fair and along the lines of the condition. I think I paid $600 for it. I bet it is probably worth $600 too.

I could care les that it is scratched dented and dinged. (knew this before I bought it) I do care that the LOP wound up too short for me. Now it sits in the safe ... no use for it.

Anyone want a pretty used Beretta Silver Hawk? Just $600!

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Wendell....a good gunsmith can do wonders with different recoil pads and spacers to bring the LOP up to your fit. If you like the shotgun and it works for you, I'd sure add a bit to it. Wink

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Wendel,

Leave it in the cabinet. When you come over for that stag hunt I'll sponsor you for a temporary import permit and you can walk right through customs with it along with your rifles. On our wat to the highlands we'll dropit of and get it fitted with an ebonite spacer for you and you can take it back. They are a nice gun especially to just kick about with.

The same applies to any gun you buy. over here. Dig usually gets the buyers dimensions and gets the stock fitted for length drop and cast. The gun has to be back on face and in proof.

You will know what work needs doing and what it will cost before you bid in the auction. The other way to look at it is to put a "wish list" together of what you are lookign for and budget. Dig wil then go through al the Auctions and discount everything that isn't what it looks like or claims to be. He's just pointed out two English Boxlocks that were not actually made by the people that you would have though made them according to the catalogues... after that you can get a report on anything that fits your profile and budget. If you do "win" in the auction then the cost of report is taken off the commision.

You pay a bit more this way but it is an very worth while insurance premium.

Shipping is £150/£160 and whatever internal postage in the US to get it from south carolina to you.

PM me if you want a bit more of a chat about this and I can give you a call.

BTW, My personal view is that you would be better off with a 2.5" chambered 12 bore. They will handle pretty quickly and are nice and light.

Rgds,
FB

Rgds,
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20 gauge RBL launch edition that I like a lot, a lot of gun for ths $2500 price that I paid. There's a few of them on gunsamerica but the sellers are usually adding a few bucks to try and turn a profit.

I'm far from an expert on doubles, so any advice from me is worth what you pay, but there are a lot of nice used english boxlocks out there that can be had in your price range. Here's a few links to some sellers I know of:

http://www.thadscott.com/
http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com/
http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

The 2 1/2 inch 12 gauges doubles are nice also and I'm sure Fallow Buck is much more informed about doubles than I, but the only caution I'd mention about them is ammo can be hard to come by in the states. If you reload then no big deal, but trying to find off the shelf stuff is hard and usually $$$ if you do find it.