THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    New to me Red label, any comments on the gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me Red label, any comments on the gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a new to me Ruger Red lable this week. This one is a 20 ga. The barrels are 26" and choked SKEET/SKEET . The reciever is blued the action locks up very thightly. a few small dings and dents in the stock that show some honest use. I am thinking this will the gun my wife uses for the most part as she has been asking about going to the sporting clays range ( and maybe some hunting) with me lately. I paid $450 for this gun and it seems to me to be a pretty decent bargain, but I have never really priced them before ( I prefer pumps and SxS for my own use). Any thoughts on the Red label or the price would be appreciated.

Posts: 43 | Location: Western NY | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have duck hunted with one for the last 3 years and its better than any of my other shotguns for that type hunt. No mechanical problems with it as yet.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted (mostly dove) with a 20ga Red Lable for about 12 years. Mine has a stainless receiver, straight English style walnut stock, and 26" barrels. It has performed flawlessly for thousands of rounds and is one gun I will never sell. I've never seen one with a blued receiver. I thought they were all stainless from the beginning. I use skeet & skeet for jump shooting dove in brush but you will want tighter chokes for the longer shots. If the gun functions well you got a very good buy at $450. I would not sell mine for twice that much...or more!

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
I have a RRL in 28 gauge and it is sweet. I especially like the mechanical triggers as well as their trigger pull weight . Wood is very nice and not an enhanced wood like on a Beretta Silver Pigeon S. All in All an Honest very well made gun that should give years of service

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$450 is a good price. I have seen 20 ga, blued, fixed choke RLs sell for $600 - $700 fairly recently here in Missouri. If anything, I like the feel of the earlier, blued RLs than that of the new ones.

$450 for a shotgun you will probably never wear out is a heck of a deal. Those things are really stout btw. Some of the better known double rifle makers started out by putting double rifle barrel sets on 20 ga RLs, and not sissy calibers either.

Having a wife who wants to spend time with you outdoors - priceless.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I have a RL in 28 that I use for dove and quail here in Arizona. It's light and fast handling and just a pleasure to carry. I would buy every one I could lay my hands on for $450.00 and would not sell mine for much more than that. Is it a Perazzi? No but they don't cost $6000.00+ either. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote