New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with my A-5
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure if I should put this here or in gunsmithing. I am having problems with my A-5 cycling properly. It is a 16 ga and I am shooting 1-1/8oz 3-1/4dram #6. I consider this to be a heavy load and when I arrange the friction bushings for a heavy load it doesn't always eject. So I wind up changing the settings to light loads and it really slams the reciever upon firing. Or after a box or two it starts to jam even if on the light setting. I have replaced the friction bushing, the action spring, and the recoil spring. Still having problems.
Suggestions?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try a light coat of oil on the tube under the recoil spring.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the barrel rails and the channels where they side in the reciever. Lub the rails and as df06 suggestions.

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tube under the recoilspring is supposed to be kept dry according to Browning. Lubrication with oil or even graphite would defeat the purpose of having the friction bushing. Anyone ever having owned an A-5 should know this.

NEXT...

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
Try www.shotgunworld.com

I'm sure you'll find results w/ those guys, esp w/ their strong A5 following.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dfo6 suggestion will probably fix your problem. My father and I have several Bel. made A-5's and have shot them for years. The problem you are having is seen pretty often with these guns if the tube gets dry and or some grit or something gets on it. A-5's are very simple guns, which is one reason they are so reliable problems with ejection are about the only thing you see with them. I have fixed several peoples gun by doing this, just make sure and not put too much and wipe it down good after you apply.

Posts: 54 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildfowl
posted Hide Post
Instead of using modern style oils, I always use Slik-50 GREASE. Just a small dab, smeared around evenly and then wiped off lightly. ALWAYS works and fixes guns people are ready to pitch.

Just because it has a friction ring does not mean it should not be lubed.

Posts: 88 | Location: STL | Registered: 28 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
The tube under the recoilspring is supposed to be kept dry according to Browning. Lubrication with oil or even graphite would defeat the purpose of having the friction bushing. Anyone ever having owned an A-5 should know this.

NEXT...

Try reading the Browning A5 owners manual, It specifically tells you to wipe the magazine tube down with an oiled patch.

NEXT

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
One addendum that does not fit this OP's problem.

You can wipe oil off the mag tube if 12 bore 2 3/4" magnum loads overfunction.

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drewhenrytnt
Try cleaning your chamber with fine steel wool dipped in Hoppes no.9.
If a little bit of plastic from the shells sticks to the chamber walls it will make it not cycle. It sounds like you have all the other bases covered.
You can put oil on the mag tube.
My system is
Dry tube on heavy setting.
Heavy setting with oil on tube.
Light setting with no oil.
Light setting with oil.
If it doesn't cycle go to the next step.
Some guys use the light weight rings on their magnum to cycle light loads for clays, never tried it but don't see why it wouldn't work. My first year magnum has the same friction rings as a light weight except it had a double spring.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fixed the problem and she is working fantastic.

Thanks to all the posters with positive information.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drewhenrytnt
What was the problem and what was the fix?

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
YEs, an an A-5 fan would like to know any remedy to maladies.