New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 ga?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone know if birdshot such as #9 or 7 (dove loads) are available in 10 ga? recently acquired one and wanna see if my kids got the cajones to hunt dove w/it as a joke.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RST loads 2-7/8 10 ga. shells with #8 or 7-1/2 shot. I shoot 1-1/8 oz #8 reloads in my 10 at clay birds and they work great. I think if you want 2-1/4 oz loads you will probably have to do your own.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 10-ga double for pheasants. It's an Ithaca NID 10-ga mag with barrels cut back to 28 inches and insert chokes. I put a cylinder choke tube in one barrel with a 2-1/4 oz of #8's handloads and a full choke in the other barrel with 2-1/4 oz of #4's. It works real well! I am not a target shooter but did better on trap with it than with my 12 ga gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cool. thanks guys

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I second RST shells in a 10 bore. I use them on grouse at home (7 1/2) and pheasant in the lower 48 (6). My 10 is a light upland 10 by Williams and Powell, choked IC & M, and the 2 7/8 RST are just what the doctor ordered.

I have a bunch of the magnum 2 7/8 by Winchester and Remington for a Winchester 1901 or a heavier double but can't use them in the W&P.

Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use my 10 gauge Darne sxs model R-16 with French superior proof that Briley put choke tubes in for both geese and for upland birds. Gun weighs 7 lbs 1 oz. Chambers are almost 3 inches (75mm) so I use the 2-7/8-inch RST shells, or cut-down primed Federal 3-1/2" handloaded with non-tox Bismuth or Nice shot in the size and weight appropriate to the quarry.

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about shooting SLUGS through a browning pump 10 ga? what choke should be used? i keep getting diff answers from sellers on gunbroker. most say IMP and MOD choke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For rifled slugs I was always told an open choke. I would go with Imp Cylinder if you have it.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Where can a person obtain the RST shells fdor the 10 gauge?????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IN THEORY.......... were one to take a browning bps stalker 10 ga 28" and cut the bbl to 18-20" to use as a predator solver ( no long discussions about 12 ga vs 10 ga for this purpose please) and recoil was not an issue in an emergency situation, would it still effectively (fairly accurately) shoot slugs out to say 50 yds? i know it would open the spread of shot. ok, i'm sure it would cause i don't know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ithica mag 10 and a Spanish double 10 ga. I load 2 1/4 oz of 8' or 9's when the starlings and blackbirds flock up in the fall. Nasty destructive things ( the birds) scare up a flock, let them get out 60 yds and put 3 quick shots out there. Black bird rain comes down, not unusual to dump over 100 birds that way. Like mosquitoes, it makes no real impact no matter how many you kill. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
back40, just a comment but while starlings can be shot that way man y of the other blackbird species, even though being a pest arer protected Federally.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackbirds, as in, starlings, cowbirds and grackles, along with pigeons are all listed as pests in my state. I can shoot them by the truckloads if I wish. The state will use poison to eliminate them, something I will not do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some states they aren't, and even then some of those birds are Federally protected and usually some type of actual damage has to be proven.

Just something that not everyone realizes because the birds are pests.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I will type this slowly ........
They are all labeled as PESTS in my state, where I live, where I shoot them, hence my post.
B birds are not migratory, not sure how they could have federal protection, and if they did, my state wouldn't allow unlimited shooting of them. Geeez!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some, but not all Redwing Blackbirds migrate. I've killed tens of thousands of them over rice fields in Louisiana where they are labeled as pests.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to where you can buy RST 10 ga shells, I have seen them for sale at Ballistic products but geez they are expensive.

These are something that reloading will get a good ROI. I think it’s like $14/10.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redwings are considered songbirds here, they don't mix with the reg b birds and don't bother our crops.
When I was in Australia the sulfer crested cockatoo was hated by the farmers there. You should of heard them swear when I said they cost hundreds of dollars in the pet stores here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are all labeled as PESTS in my state, where I live, where I shoot them, hence my post.

I understand that, but it is not that way in ALL states.

Was not intending to make you mad, just pointing out that a person needs to check with the appropriate agency in their state.

Not sure what is wrong with that.

Here are the regulations for Texas and this is from the TP&W website.

Protected Birds: Hawks, owls, eagles, and all other nongame birds and songbirds (except for the few unprotected birds listed below) are protected by various state and federal laws and may not be killed, taken from the nest, picked up, or possessed for any reason, and their feathers may not be possessed or sold. Arts and crafts may not include these protected species under any circumstances.

Unprotected Birds: The only birds not protected by any state or federal law are European starlings, English sparrows, feral rock doves (common pigeon, Columba livia) and Eurasian collared-doves; these species may be killed at any time, their nests or eggs destroyed, and their feathers may be possessed.

Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance.

Not everyone takes time to check state regulations, even those applying to normally hunted game species.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't shoot doves in my state, should I make a point during texas dove season for everyone to check the law as not everyone can shoot doves?
Just didn't see the point, everyone should know the laws in the state they hunt/shoot in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CH, you are right, it's no big deal.
Short daylight hours, no sunshine and nasty weather makes me cranky ..... sometimes over nothing. I'm sorry about that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry about that.

Nothing to be sorry about, you were just pointing out the regulations where you live.

Nothing wrong with that, it helps educate folks. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy 10 gauge and other soft-shooting/specialty shells here:

http://www.rstshells.com/

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote