THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    26" barrels for upland hunting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

26" barrels for upland hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I have been using a Browning Citori Gran Lightning with 26" barrels for a while and I really come to enjoy the shorter barrels. Before, I always insisted on 28" or 30" for hunting because I thought I would benefit from a longer sight radius, but after using 26" I have learned that the shorter barrel length works better for me. Anyone else prefer the shorter barrels?

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a citori with 26" and a browning sidexside with 28" and a couple of pumps with the 26' and thru 30' barells. I will admit I prefer 28 on the double and 26 on the pumps for upland and 28 or 30 on the pumps for waterfowl. Maybe it an optical illusion but a double is several inches shorter because there is no receiver and it points better with the extra 2 inches. 28 or 30 on the pump to me are a little long for upland but just fine for ducks. just my opinnion.

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
This has been a topic of discussion for years. The British gun writers debates on the Churchill XXV were numerous in the 1920's and '30's.

Some people do well with longer barrels and some don't. The current fad is for 30"+ barrels for sporting clays, let someone win with a 25" and you will likely see a shift. [Big Grin]

I rather a long barrel for duck hunting--the farther the muzzle of the next guy's gun is from me the happier I am.

I shoot at about the same level of proficiency from 25"-28". Even though it is only about 2 or so ounces the extra two inches at 30 is sometimes hard for me to get moving--I can shoot it but have to push myself on some guns.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOCTOR LOU:
I have been using a Browning Citori Gran Lightning with 26" barrels for a while and I really come to enjoy the shorter barrels. Before, I always insisted on 28" or 30" for hunting because I thought I would benefit from a longer sight radius, but after using 26" I have learned that the shorter barrel length works better for me. Anyone else prefer the shorter barrels?

I think barrel length isn't a big issue either way. With that said, I had my old Rem 1100 12ga barrel lopped off from 28" to 23.5" because it was a real boat anchor. Now it handles much nicer in the field and is really handy to manuver with as well! I keep a 26" Rem choke barrel around if I want to go to the range and shoot some skeet with it.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 26' barrels . Lighter,faster shootin, easyer to carry. Im a snap shooter. usualy as soon as the gun hits my shoulder the trigger is pulled. Guess thats how I learned to shoot chaseing Quail in thick cover. If I shoot trap or skeet my gun isnt up till I see the target in the air. I shoot a shotgun more like a quick draw pistol.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My upland guns are doubles and have 26 or 27 inch bbls. In tight cover the shorter bbls are easier to manuever.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a generally longer barrel on a break-open gun because of its shorter receiver (as mentioned earlier) and a shorter barrel on an auto or pump. I like a 28" on the breaks and a 26" on the repeaters, although with the smaller gauges with their slender barrels like 20 ga. and 28 ga., a 26" or 26.5" on the breaks is also nice. Maybe for pass shooting on waterfowl a 28" might be preferable to shorter barrels on a repeater, I think the 30" is totally out of place on a long-receiver gun, as is 24" out of place on a break-open. Browning used to put a 27" on their Auto 5 which is a nice compromise.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated. Lou [Smile]

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<nstoller>
posted
I hunt with a BPS with a 26" barrel for both waterfowl and upland, most of the time. Depending on how the birds are holding (upland) I have a 20ga BPS with 22" barrel, and I don't have problems. This is great when hunting in thickets or heavy wooded areas.

I think it comes down to how well the shotgun fits you and how well it swings. I suggest that you use whatever you are comfortable with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doctor Lou,
My favorite shotgun at this time is an Ithaca (SKB) 280 English S/S in 20 gauge with 25" barrels. I prefer it over all of the other shotguns I have owned. i use it mainly for upland bird shooting here in Washington. I have had a Moroku O/U with 26" barrels and one with 28 but like the shorter.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
My upland gun is a Savage Fox--it was given to me by a friend because of ignition problems. It is at the third and I hope final gunsmith--it is no longer "free", But I'm not in it too much yet. Anyway, when it works, this gun is great on quail, and suprising on sporting clays (apparently it likes my handloads). Its a 20 gauge with 24" barrels, both IC. It looks silly at sporting clays events, and shoots these events in the high teens to low 20s. It makes me grin, as I am the week link, not the gun, when it works.However, tomorrow I am picking up a new O/U in 12 gauge, with 28" barrels--on this gun they seem to swing right, and balance out the gun. My opinion on barrel length is that it depends--there is no right answer! Chuck

<Don Martin29>
posted
For upland the shotgun barrels are way too long. I have a Drilling with 24" barrels and that is fine. Even shorter would be better.

I am shopping for a SS double for upland it will be 26" or shorter. The autos and pumps at 28" are clumsy.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
I love the 26" barrels on my Stoeger O/U. Nice and short. Anything that can lighten up the O/U the better as well. This is my first year with an O/U and it is much heavier than the 870 Express it replaced.

<gamecock>
posted
In the 60s it was a Win. Mod 50, 12ga w/26" bbls., then to a Mod 50, 20ga, then to an SKB, 20 w/26" also. Carried the SKB for 16 years or so...loved it, even used it for clays on occasion.

This past XMAS wife presented me with a Fox Sterlingworth, 16ga, 28" bbls, 6 1/2 lbs. Last week, on ringnecks and chuckars (after getting used to the twin triggers), the little gun quickly took my fancy. Maybe the weight plays a huge factor, maybe moreso than an inch or two of barrel length. Many of my hunting pals use SxS doubles in 16, 20 and even 28 ga, with 28" bbls. for upland game including grouse in heavy cover. I'm beginning to think it's a personal thing, and more importantly what you like and what feels right when the gun comes to the cheek. Most times
when I get tangled in heavy cover with my hat snatched off my head and a briar embedded in my ear, I'm really tangled and carrying shorter gun, even a 1911 Colt wouldn't help much except to end my misery.