New
Find
Notify
Tools

non-toxic shot for old guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anything besides bismuth(cant find 2 3/4") or tungsten matrix $3/shot for ducks in a DHE Parker?

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
I believe you are stuck with Bismuth with your parker as the Tungsten Matrix hardness is above steel shot. The Bismuth will not blow out your chokes and behave more like lead in that great double of yours.

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
You are also correct on the Tungstun Matrix in the older guns, I was thinking of Tungston Iron on my initial reply.

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HB,thanks.heard bismuth plant closed.anyone loading 12b 11/4,23/4"?

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried a lot of the Bismuth shells but the ones I have shot are HOT!... really hot. They seem abusive to modern guns much less older ones. I wouldn't want to use them in my older guns unless they load something a little lighter that I haven't tried yet.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about the Kent Tungsten Matrix, I thought it was fine for old guns. It is a mix of tungsten powder in a polymer, and the pellets I have dug out of ducks were deformed like lead shot. I bought a bunch of it on sale years ago, thats all I shoot for ducks anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting bismuth and tungsten matrix in my Winchester M21 for several years with no problems at all. I hear the biggest problem right now is finding anyone that has any in stock.
C.G.B.