THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Steel or heavy shot in an older beretta
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel or heavy shot in an older beretta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an older beretta ou with full and mod chokes, can I shoot steel or heavy shot etc. Can't afford bismuth.

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You can shoot steel shot in it until it destroys your muzzles and chokes, if that's what you want to do. But I wouldn't.

Gunsmiths report increase in shotguns ruined by steel shot Read more at http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/gu...0d70zP7c611.99

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have to shoot steel, and you have to use that Beretta, you only real option is to open the chokes up to a least a maximum constriction of light modified. Less would probably be better. This might or might not work depending on how thin your barrels are.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get away with it if you install choke tubes first.

Personally, I would never shoot either in any shotgun I was fond of...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of older inherited shotguns around here that have quite a bit of bore damage from steel shot.

If it has fixed chokes, and the gun had any particular value to me as an investment or a heirloom I would not shoot steel in them, let alone hevishot.

Hevishot can damage even the most modern guns that are made to be steel compliant.

If you can't use lead for what you use them for, and bismuth is out of your price range, I am not sure if you would think it worthwhile, but Kent's Tungsten Matrix is pretty safe, although I think its the same price wise as bismuth loaded ammo.

If you want to handload, ITX-10 seems between steel and lead/bismuth. Its also spendy (but cheaper than bismuth), but if you handload it (which is the only way it comes to my knowledge) Ballistic Products seems to be on a really light shot load at high speed kick, which would tend to cut your costs. Stick with smaller (#4 or smaller) pellets and you should be OK.

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hevi-Shot, last time I checked was almost the same price as Bismuth. It is a pity Remington discontinued Wingmaster HD. That stuff was safe on chokes and produced some incredible long range patterns. Might try Nice Shot if you are not a reloader.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote